Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we bring...

Default Can we bring...

Hi!
    We are amassing a list of things that the removal people say cannot travel in the container. They should know what they are talking about, but...

Can anyone confirm / deny if they have successfully brought:

- bottles of spirits (unopened) without paying duty - we have 3 cases of rare malt whisky (bought as an investment)
    - after-shave / perfume? (part-used bottles)
    - arrows and fletchings (we are field archers)
    - any leather goods - jackets / quivers / leather sofa & chairs
    - candles
    - a diving cylinder
    - air rifles & pistols

I'm sure there will be more, this is just to start with....

Thanks!
    Jane

We brought two brand new leather armchairs with us, still in their wrapping, although we had sat on them and covered them with cat hair so they were used and we didn't need to declare them to customs. We also brought 3 dive cylinders with us, all used, and lots of candles (I didn't know i had so many until I unpacked them!)

Hi Jane can answer only a couple but the following you can & we did bring not sure on the other items on your list
    perfume/ aftershave we had new & opened bottles
    candles & as I love candles I brought lots with me
    Leather jackets/sofa our friends brought their leather sofa sounds strange what you are being told I would look into it further.
    Hope this helps
    jackie

Have you looked at MAF website?.
    I've had the same things said to me so I emailed MAF yesterday (someone on this forum recommended to) & they came back straight away, really helpful

If it helps - although it's entirely unrelated to your items - my sister in NZ just successfully imported a huge deer antler light fitting thingy which you'd take one look at and say NO WAY

It seems to me that their bark is worse than their bite, MAF that is, if you're sensible. Though the heavy duty arsenal may be a tads worrying to them! Only kidding, air rifles are prevalent there.

Re the whisky - If you need any help disposing of it afore ye go... I think that might be a wise idea

Like George, I'd also say email them.

Air rifles are fine, but silencers are not allowed (told to take it off when being inspected). I assume you have precharged pneumatics, I brought a GC2 in with no hassles. Make sure you have a lab number on the bottle so that the dive shops here can fill and service it, mine doesn't have one and now it is an ornament in the garage.

There is no field target shooting here, they tend to go for the real thing (possums) with 1000fps .22s.

We brought spirits with us....you might need do have letter to explain that it is for personal consumption, considering the quantity you are bringing. customs are looking for anything you can sell on...but if you are upfront, then you should have no problem.
    You can bring perfume/aftershave. They often say you can't as they are flammable, but in the quantity you are talking, it isn't really a risk...make sure it gets packed inside plastic tub (with other personal/cosmetic products) so if there is a leak, it won't saturate anything else.
    You can bring paraffin wax candles, but not beeswax...they are ttrict on this one. You will know if a candle is beeswax....much more expensive to buy and anyway almost all candles in UK are paraffin wax.
    Bloke bought his diving gear, no problems...but cylinders have to be empty otherwise risk of explosion due to pressure change when going through tropics.
    Leather goods are fine....as long as treated leather, which most things are.

Thanks everyone - that's great!

We have the 2nd removal company giving us estimates today, so I'll bombard them with questions

Cheers!
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    There is no field target shooting here, they tend to go for the real thing (possums) with 1000fps .22s.
    ... but there is plenty of field target shooting for real rifles, indoor smallbore (.22) is popular (and yes I do too) and range shooting of air rifles is common (at least in the Hutt).

Quote Originally Posted by JaneAS View Post
    Hi!
    - bottles of spirits (unopened) without paying duty - we have 3 cases of rare malt whisky (bought as an investment)
    - after-shave / perfume? (part-used bottles)
    - arrows and fletchings (we are field archers)
    - any leather goods - jackets / quivers / leather sofa & chairs
    - candles
    - a diving cylinder
    - air rifles & pistols

I'm sure there will be more, this is just to start with....

Thanks!
    Jane

yes to :
    unopened spirits
    yes to aftershave/perfume - part used and new (stocking up!)
    yes to leather jackets/sofas etc
    yes to candles..

all no probs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast