Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wine Industry in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    You can see my house!

Your right Piper, land is getting scarce (and expensive) in the Wairau Valley, most new plantings are in the Awetere Valley and the Blind river area near Ward (still in Marlborough).
    Wow, what a coincidence! Piper Photography at your service!! And my first picture on the forum too

We drove up by Fairhall and saw a lot of new planting on land that had previously been considered unsustainable. I guess all the new frost prevention measures have made it more viable in certain areas. (Although I heard about the 200 helicopters that descended one night earlier this year!!)

I did my Advanced Certificate in Wine and Spirits through the New Zealand Institute of Wine Education.

http://www.nziwe.co.nz/courses.php

It's run by 2 masters of wine - Bob Campbell MW and Jane Skilton MW. They do run courses in Wellington as well. Send them an email for more info. You're supposed to do the Intermediate course first but, as long as you have a good knowledge of world wines and basic wine production, you can start on the Advanced.

It's a more business focused qualification but it does take very long to do and is a good grounding. I did a 4 day intensive course and a fair amount of private study and passed with distinction. The course will also provide you with some good networking opportunities as the wine companies send their employees along. I met someone from Villa Maria and lined up a cellarhand job as a result.

I'm now back in the UK doing my Diploma in Wines and Spirits.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123