Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine Industry in NZ

Default Wine Industry in NZ

Hi all

I have already received some valuable information on the wine industry in NZ via a member on this forum, but am desperate to get a bit more. I am mainly looking for experiences in this industry both with work and study in any of the wine growing areas, because I would like to know whether a career change into the wine industry would be a sensible choice for me.

I have contacted the Institutes and a few of the wineries and vineyards, but would like to have an objective view on this.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,
    Anita

You're not too far away so maybe you could plan a visit to the wine festival in Marlborough in February.
    I doubt you'd find a better chance to meet a whole load of wine industry people in one place at one time.
    Not only that, you get to try some of the finest wines around and it's a really good day out.

http://www.wine-marlborough-festival.co.nz/

Hi,
    Thanks for the information, I indeed know about that but I have to decide before the Xmas period whether to enrol on any of the institutes and thus deciding to move etc. Like I said, I did a lot of research already, and am thinking of travelling to one of the wine areas next week.

Cheers
    Anita

Hello again Anita

Harvest is coming soon and the wineries here are gearing up and starting to recruit staff to work the "vintage". And getting work during this period is fairly straightforward, but expect it to be physically demanding and long hours (often 12hr shifts).

Check out www.winejobsonline.com

I know Kim Crawford is looking for a permanent cellar hand for example, which is a good position to start at a winery when you have no experince, from cellar hand - you move up the ranks to cellar master, then assistant winemaker, to full winemaker. This progression is complimented (and required) by study either here in Marlborough or down at Lincoln University in Christchurch.

If you want to work in a vineyard, it easy to get a "foot in", with on the job training provided and easy to climb a couple of rungs up the ladder fairly quickly.

This is a industry that encourages education and training, viticulture and wine making qualifications are required for certain positions, depending on the organisation.

However I do know a number of people, who have risen to managerial positions, just on the merit of their own hard work.

Thanks again Beachcomber,
    It sounds that I just need to take the plunge, although after phoning around 10-15 people in the industry to apply for any available jobs, I have only had negative responses. So, I am worried when I start studying at NMIT I will end up without work - most of them tell me that they have all the people already in place to start the 2008 harvest. I was very surprised to hear this. I might just travel down next week and have a talk at NMIT and try to visit some vineyards in the area - that might be a better way to do it?

Cheers
    Anita

Hi Anita

Do you want to work in a vineyard or in a winery? Actually being here would help alot, if you can go "door knocking".

Hi

My initial idea is to start at a vineyard, but the study comprises both viticulture and wine production, so it would be great to experience each. The study is really hands-on so I can gain experience while studying as well.
    I would basically need to have a job to be able to afford to study, since my partner will have to stay in our house in Wellington. And I would rather work on a vineyard or winery than somewhere else, so I can get some experience straight away.

All further ideas are very welcome,

Anita

Quote Originally Posted by Anita & Marco View Post
    Hi

My initial idea is to start at a vineyard, but the study comprises both viticulture and wine production, so it would be great to experience each. The study is really hands-on so I can gain experience while studying as well.
    I would basically need to have a job to be able to afford to study, since my partner will have to stay in our house in Wellington. And I would rather work on a vineyard or winery than somewhere else, so I can get some experience straight away.

All further ideas are very welcome,

Anita
    The bigger the company ie Montana or Villia Maria, the more seperated the vineyard and winery operations are from each other. So you if you wish to work for one of these oganisations, you need to be clear which side you are going to work in.

However, the more "hands on" type wineries and the organic crowd have these lines very blurred. So places like Seresins, Fromm, Herzog, No 1 Family Estate, Sugarloaf, Domaine George Michel, Mahi, Dog Point and to a lesser extent Allan Scotts would be able to offer work both in the winery and vineyard. So I would start with these guys.

BTW, have you approached the wineries in Martinborough?

Thanks for that!
    Yes I have approached one in the Wairarapa just for general information, but when I work there I cannot combine this with a course at one of the Institutes, so this is not really an option for me at the moment.

Cheers
    Anita

Hi Anita

Last year I approached a couple of distance learning courses which were free (NMIT?) providing I could get myself a teacher buddy. I know this might not be relevant to you as we were going to use our wee vineyard, and it would have entailed a local person from a proper vineyard coming to visit ours regularly to check our work and to be there to monitor new procedures etc, but perhaps there's a vineyard near you who will allow you to do practical work on their vines? It wouldn't even need to be a biggie?

Just a thought.
    Moorf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast