Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: District/community nursing phone interview

Default District/community nursing phone interview

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone out there can offer some advice on telephone interviews - but more specifically those for community/district nursing. I have been offered a telephone interview (times and dates yet to be arranged) and am now running scared!! I have read the thread on phone interviews already but hoped someone might be able to offer more specific tips for community nursing ones.
    Also, if anyone can offer any useful info on district/community nursing in Christchurch and surrounding areas that would be very appreciated too. I have tried to research it but find it difficult to know if community nursing is commissioned in or if the DHB provide the service etc etc. Please help!

Nicki

Well done on getting the interview. How did you apply for the job? I am a community nurse in the UK and have been offered a job in Christchurch Hopsital. I would really rather continue with my community nursing in NZ but wondered who I apply to. The nursing agencies seem to cover the hospitals mainly.

As for the interview - my was very informal. I had all the info to hand - treaty of waitangi, their equivalent of the code of cinduct, I also had the Canterbury DHB website up but they didn't ask me anything on any of those. They wanted to know about me, why I wanted to come to NZ and gave me a few scenarios to answer. Basically the same as I had been asked in the UK. Community nursing interviews may be different. Either way, smile, enjoy yourself and take your time. You will be fine.

Thanks. I have heard people saying they swot up on Treaty of Waitangi etc but aren't asked anything about those. I guess your advice on having it to hand is very sensible. Problem is I haven't got a clue how to pronounce half the words!
    What scenarios did you have to answer? And how long did your interview last?
    I applied through SEEK. (Seek.co.nz)They send me regular updates on vacancies. I think I originally typed in my preferred working areas and type of nursing.
    I agree finding information about how community is run, or where to look for vacancies does seem difficult. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful. Just keeping my fingers crossed on this one now!

My interview was for a hospital post so the scenarios were hospital related. They had the usual one about what would you do if you saw a colleague doing something wrong? If I can remember they asked me about teaching within my job - i.e. teaching diabetics etc... I will try to wrack my brains and let you know if I remember any more.

Can't be of much help as I had a face to face interview for a hospital job. I was asked all the usual nursing stuff but, they were also very interested in how I thought I'd settle in NZ, how supportive OH was, how I'd cope so far away from the rest of the family. What would I do if the children didn't like it etc. etc. They DID ask me to tell them what I could about the Treaty and what I expected the cultural differences to be between nursing in UK and NZ.
    Community jobs, from what I can see, are just advertised on the DHBs careers pages, I've seen a few and apparently the vacancies ( in good areas ) are popular as the pay is somewhat better for community nursing
    Good Luck!
    K.

Thanks both for that. I'll jet you know when I get a date confirmed for ther interview. Feeling quite apprehnsive.
    What did you answer about how you would settle in NZ, Snailandthewhale? I worry about this question as I feel as though I am trying to prove something. And also how did you answer about the cultural differences? I work in a multicultural area in UK so need any tips on how to distinguish differrences please. Oh and how long did interviews last?
    Thanks again,
    Nicki

Hi Nicki,

Had a hard think and remembered the following:

They initially asked about my nursing history and why New Zealand. They also wanted to know what I thought made a good team and what strengths I could bring with me. They gave a few scenarios such as 'what would you do if a patient suddenly became unwell?' They also wanted to know about educating patients - what is the best way to educate them. They asked what I would do if I saw a senior colleague doing something the wrong way - how would I tackle it. It was quite informal and they were really pleasant people.

They might want different things as it is a community post but just be prepared and be yourself.

I found the ad on seek.co.nz. I also checked out the website for the employers. It seems they are a charitable organisation with 75% funding from the government. You may want to ask about their links with the DHB's etc... and do they recognise the NZNO collective agreement. It looked on the site as if they provided transport but they didn't mention it.

What area do you currently work in? I am a community nures here in the UK but spent 12 months an an acute surgical ward. I had heard from the nurse recruitment agencies that community nursing in NZ is not as comprehensive as in the UK.

Nicky

Thanks Nicky. that helps. I too founf the website and realise they are a charitable organisation. I worried about this initially but with commissioning coming in here thick and fast who knows who will employ community nurses in the UK in the future so I decided to give it a go.
    I presently work in District Nursing, obtained my degree in Community Health Nursing 2003 and love it! Would never go back to hospital nursing. Did my stint of 10 years - that was enough for me. I currently manage a team of 10 and am usually the interviewer rather than interviewee so nerves are playing a big part in this experience for me. The correspondence I have had with them so far though does seem friendly so got to give it a try at least.
    Will let you knoww how it goes. The interview is set fdor Wednesday night our time!!!!! Wish me luck!

Nicki x

Good luck with the interview wed.
    I had a face to face interview in manchester in Sept for Christchurch Hospital and start 4th Feb. However my heart is in community nursing. Worked in district nursing 2.5 years and currently. Nurse care corrdinator. Commisioning role in adult services. I felt that I needed to know how health care systems work in NZ. Hoping to get in the community in 3-6 months. I have been reading your posts.

I will be very interested in your outcome and your progress with immigration plans.

Cheers for now

Karen

Thanks Karen. Will be sure to let you know good or bad!!
    Hopefully if I am successful it will speed our process up. Our ITA has beem submitted and we are awaiting appointment of a case worker but obviously n offer of a job will speed things along tremendously.
    I too think having a knowledge of health care in NZ would be helpful but I am a quick learner!!! ( I hope )
    Would love to keep in touch. I see you will be in Christchurch before us but hopefully we won't be far behind.

Nicki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast