Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: District/community nursing phone interview

It seems we all have the same idea - get some hospital experience then carry on in the community. Just what I did here. Good luck to everyone

Hi Mrs TW,
    My interview lasted nearly 3 hours (!) though it was very friendly and chatty and I'm sure a phone interview would be nothing like that length!
    I told them I knew next to nothing about the treaty except that there were at least 2 versions, disputed for a long time and now the govt were honouring the maori version, the one with most signatures.
    As you said, you're dealing with lots of different cultures in the UK anyway and if I was ever unsure of the procedure ie in the event of a death, I'd consult the manual or ask the pathology dept for advice. I told the interviewers that I'd do the same in NZ and they seemed happy enough.
    ( They employ lots of people here to advise you and to help you adhere to tikanga principles and they expect you to utilise them. )
    I said I knew that whanau may participate more in a client's care than I was used to in the UK ( and said I had no idea how to pronounce "whanau" properly, which they obviously realised as soon as I tried to say it .)
    Don't spend to much time on this stuff, I don't think anyone would expect you to be expert in these matters, when you're still in the UK.
    Talking to my boss now, she tells me that well over 75% of the people they offer jobs to, never arrive in NZ. I think because of this, they're wary of people who don't seem totally commited to making the move. It is difficult, at interview, to convince someone you're commited as you're probably not sure yourself if NZ will work out for you, especially if, like us, you've never even visited. I think that's why there was a big emphasis on " settlement " questions.
    Like Nicky said, keep smiling, you'll be fine.
    Good Luck!

K

BTW, I'd absolutely hate to be in community nursing! Can't imagine anything worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs TW View Post
    The interview is set fdor Wednesday night our time!!!!! Wish me luck!

Nicki x
    How did the interview go? Any news yet?

Hi,
    Interview went very well. Lasted almost an hour. It was hard not seeing their reactions but the advantages of being in my jimjams and having lots of papers spread accross the bed outweighed that!
    They said because of the Christmas holidays their reply might take a little longer but they did say they were smiling and would send me lots of information thorugh about the area and housing etc. As a consequence I am hopeful but don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
    Thanks for all the advise - and snailandthewhale, good job we are all different eh?! (I didn't mean to offend!)

Nicki

Well done, Mrs TW! I reckon you'll be busy in 2008, organising your emigration!

Hi All,

Had the hard copy of my job offer today . . . . . yipee as also been allocated a case officer too. They said I needed to be interviewed as I hadn't got a job offer yet but as if by magic it came this morning. (A verbal confirmation didn't count) Glad I haven't got to go through NZIS interview - wasn't relishing the idea of that.
    Thinks hopefully will move quickly now. We really hope to be in NZ this summer (UK). Just got to wait for stickers in passport and house to sell.
    All becoming a bit real and scary now!

Nicki x

Well done on getting the job. Is it similar to community nursing here in the UK? Once I have completed about 6 months in a hospital I will consider going back to community nursing too (that's what I am now) I just want to find my feet first. Good luck with the visa's. One less thing to worry about

Thank you. It just all seems to be falling into place and I can't help but feel the bubble will burst soon. So far we have been very fortunate and not really hit any obsticles to speak off. Hoping we never do!
    It certainly sounded pretty similar to community nursingg in Uk but you can never be sure until you get there I guess.
    I am really quite excited and I did get good vibes from them. Thought I would trust my gut feeling.
    I'm sure you will get into community again when you feel ready.
    Thanks for the banana!!

ps well done on your EOI selection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12