Thread: Character Waiver

Default Character Waiver

Hello again, everyone.
    It would seem that our ITA has gone through swimmingly well apart from the fact that due to me getting into trouble a couple of times as a teenager (22+ years ago) and nothing serious, NZIS insist on character references. Has anyone else had experience of this issue as we are a little worried, what with being so close to emigrating?

This has come up before. All you need are some letters attesting to your wonderful trustworthy etc etc nature. Do you know anyone in a civic role that could supply a letter? For example, maybe a doctor,preacher/vicar,senior employer & that type of thing.Ask for a letter addressed "To whom it may concern" entitled "Character reference for *********& then confirm how long they've known you etc etc. Hope this helps.

This link may offer some help:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....cter+reference

J x

I had a similar problem, I had committed an offence when I was 18, and thirty years later......

I was asked to write about the offence, and my feelings about it now. After that, things just sailed through.

As an add on to this, I've just applied for a gun licence here in NZ. I started to explain to the firearms officer about this offence, and the conversation went:-

"How long ago was this?"
    "32 years" I said.
    "You told the NZIS didn't you?"
    "Yes"
    "It's so long ago, and you've been checked by the NZIS, so we really don't mind...."

Default Waiver.

Thanks very much to all. Your information has put our mind at rest. We have sent off a few references and are waiting for a couple more, so we shall wait and see. Once again, Thanks.