Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: great nz cafes

Default great nz cafes

On a recent trip, I found food in many restaurants to be very expensive to cover all meals for our family's 2 wk trip...but discovered some wonderful cafes! What are some of your favourites? What do you like about them?

- Rhubarb Cafe (Roslyn neighborhood, Dunedin) - quiche, mixed salad, pesto orzo, antipasti of marinated roasted veggies and fresh mozzerella, cured black olives $6 NZD + half-sized/kid serving eggs benedict with ham or thick meaty bacon $7 NZD

- Lembas (Raumati, Kapiti coast) - don't recall exactly what we had, a bit pricier but a fine chef, abundant servings, funky neighborhood atmosphere

- Wholemeal Cafe (Takaka) - hopping place at lunchtime, great selections of wholefoods entrees

Cappachino (sp?) excellent everywhere (but at the airport!)

Quiche a great buy everywhere and hearty enough to keep you going thru the next few hours

Carrot cake in NZ - loaded with nuts and dried fruit, mmm!

Cafe Paris in Howick, next to the antique market in Picton Street. Our Saturdays always start with a trip there for me, Imogen and Francesca for one of their delcisious cakes: the girls' favourite is Banana and White Chocolate cake, and I have a penchant for their Lemon cake, Carrot cake, Almond and Fig cake, Cinammon and Apple Crunch cake and Orange and Raisin Scones. Flat white for me and chocolate ice frappes for the girls! Yum!!
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    - Lembas (Raumati, Kapiti coast) - don't recall exactly what we had, a bit pricier but a fine chef, abundant servings, funky neighborhood atmosphere
    Yep - pretty good (especially the fried breakfasts). Another good one down here is Rosetta Cafe (Raumati Beach). Good home cooked food and changing menu at 15 dollars

Mussell Inn between Collingwood and Takaka - absolute classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post
    Mussell Inn between Collingwood and Takaka - absolute classic!
    Especially on one of their quiz bowl nites - go with a group of friends and join the fun! 7pm...was it Wednesday nites?

Composting toilets (locally made, I believe, complete with framed instructions on how to use it on the wall next to the loo)

...and those bowls of steaming mussels going by sure smelled good!

Deli on the Corner - Cambridge - yum.
    The Lilypad cafe and sculpture/art gallery and gardens just outside Cambridge on the Mystery Creek Road - double yum,
    The cafe de l'arte just outside Taupo, past acacia bay - triple yum.

Jester House - just west of Nelson on the north side of the main road heading toward Motueka.

Owned by close relative of Mussell Inn owners (you'll find more of the same composting toilets with gem-framed instructions at the Jester House). Can't speak to the food as we stopped to feed the eels in the stream and get a bite for my suddenly very hungry daughter.

Lovely well-spaced, intimate outdoor dining areas throughout the sculpture gardens, awesome wooded play area in the forest for the kids. Moderately priced.

you'll find more of the same composting toilets with gem-framed instructions at the Jester House
    Lovely new addition to their menu, by the sound of it!

Route 66 in Cust - upstairs for a lovely view, great pizzas.

Cafe 51 - Oxford. http://www.cafe51.co.nz/index.html

Agree with Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka - loved it there and food was fab.

She - Governors Bay - great views and handmade chocs, too (especially the Decedant Choc Medjool Prunes!). http://www.shecafeandrestaurant.co.nz/

Grumpy's Cafe and Bar - Alexandra - doesn't look much from the outside but great atmosphere, service and food (don't over-order, portions were huge!).

...and those bowls of steaming mussels going by sure smelled good!
    Yep, lovely stuff!
    There are so many good things about that place. They also get some good music there.
    And not to mention the famous Captain Cooker beer, brewed with Manuka leaves- brilliant!
    I shall not mention the Feijoa Cider. Not my idea of fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast