Thread: what do you think of this plumber quote??

Default what do you think of this plumber quote??

Hiya
    So, we have bought a new shower - and we got a plumber out to give us a quote on ripping the old one out and fitting the new one.
    He has quoted us $700

We thought this was pretty expensive seen as it's pretty straight forward, and won't take more than a day at the max.

Are we being ripped off ?

Can anyone reccommend a good, reliable plumber (Kelson, Lower Hutt) so we can get some comparisions ?

Cheers!

I take it this is for installing a walk in shower unit? Seems a lot for a days work if this is just labor and no materials. The plumber we know charges $54 per hour.

I think you have to shop around and get a few quotes. We were quoted $1500 to fit a gas boiler by 2 different gas fitters, no way I was prepared to pay that and ended up getting a semi retired gas fitter to do the work for $50. HUGE difference.

I think that's a bit steep.

We recently had our entire bathroom ripped out and new one fitted. It took the plumber 1.5 days in total (split over a week while builders were doing other stuff) to remove old plumbing/fittings, re-jig and fit new bath mixers, new bath waste, new basin waste and basin taps. It wasn't straight-forward.

His total charge was $648 includig GST and travel.

He's a Master Plumber. Perhaps you could find a local person via the Master Plumber association?

The builders charge, for nearly 2 weeks of ripping out old gib from walls, re-gibbing, framing bath, installing bath, installing vanity, tiling round bath, tiling all walls, tiling floor was $2684 including GST and all materials excluding the tiles/grout. They did a super job and there was an older guy and an assistant.

The electrician cost $480 for lots of fittings/switches, installing heater, towel rail, blanking off points (over 2 visits as he came out first to secure the electrics when walls came down) - included the cost of the heater ($100) and GST and travel.
    Last edited by Moorf; 22nd December 2007 at 06:58 PM.

Hi

Cant advise of any plumbers as we live in Hastings but have we had some quotes......

We wanted plumber to fit new taps and sink in kitchen, fit new shower, fit new bath and vanity unit - with us ripping the old stuff out - one plumber quoted us over $3,500...............

In the end we had another one do the kitchen taps - hubby changed sink himself - we got charged $75 and he was here nearly 2hrs.

The plumber who came to sort bath out was here 3.5hrs and just literally fitted the taps, drilled hole under bath and charged us over $500 - ceased to tell us they never normally worked a saturday............... charged us for a drill hubby could have got from work for nothing........not happy.

Seems they can charge what they like.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by northernfive View Post
    Can anyone reccommend a good, reliable plumber (Kelson, Lower Hutt) so we can get some comparisions ?
    I certainly can! I won't discuss the details on here (respect their privacy) but we had a new shower and cubicle fitted (with old one removed) for a bit more than your quote including the cost of the cubicle itself. This plumber is a registered plumber, gasfitter and drainlayer and lives in the Hutt.

... Send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers and I'll give you the details.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by willsken View Post
    I take it this is for installing a walk in shower unit? Seems a lot for a days work if this is just labor and no materials. The plumber we know charges $54 per hour.

I think you have to shop around and get a few quotes. We were quoted $1500 to fit a gas boiler by 2 different gas fitters, no way I was prepared to pay that and ended up getting a semi retired gas fitter to do the work for $50. HUGE difference.
    hope he certified it for you so you have no problems with any possible warranty or insurance issuues as all gas fitting work has to certified by a craftsman gasfitter

Quote Originally Posted by Brijan View Post
    hope he certified it for you so you have no problems with any possible warranty or insurance issuues as all gas fitting work has to certified by a craftsman gasfitter
    Yup, he certainly is a certified gas fitter. There is no way we would use someone who isn't. We have been doing a lot of work and it has all passed the building inspector from the council. OH is in the building trade and meets people through work, probably why he did it so cheap.