Thread: Bed sizes

Default Bed sizes

Can anybody tell me whether the NZ bed sizes are the same as those in the USA? I've seen at least one post that indicated that they were named differently than in the UK. We're curious about whether it is worthwhile to bring our sheets, etc.

I'm also curious about what the "typical" bed size is in NZ. When we visited in 1985, most of the hotels gave us two single/twin beds for my wife and I. In the USA, we would most likely have gotten a queen or king size bed by default. Maybe this is one reason why NZ has a relatively small population?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith C. View Post
    Can anybody tell me whether the NZ bed sizes are the same as those in the USA? I've seen at least one post that indicated that they were named differently than in the UK. We're curious about whether it is worthwhile to bring our sheets, etc.

I'm also curious about what the "typical" bed size is in NZ. When we visited in 1985, most of the hotels gave us two single/twin beds for my wife and I. In the USA, we would most likely have gotten a queen or king size bed by default. Maybe this is one reason why NZ has a relatively small population?
    Most places we have stayed here seem to have Queen sized beds and in most of the bed shops we looked in when recently replacing our bed, they also had predominantly Queen sizes on display. This is the same size as the UK King size.

As i work for Furniture Court i suppose i am qualified to answer this. The most common is the Queen, but you can get a normal double. You also have the King, and Super King. For singles then you have the normal, followed by the King single.

Kim

Can anybody tell me whether the NZ bed sizes are the same as those in the USA? ...... We're curious about whether it is worthwhile to bring our sheets, etc.
    To answer the bed-size...bring the sheets question.....
    We had two queen size rental beds for a few weeks. It seemed that our US queen sheets were a little tight, but they worked. The same deep, fitted sheets fit nicely on our US queen bed even with a 4 inch pad on top. Based on those data, I'm suspicious that there is a slight difference, but one that is managable. But, all of the information I can find on line suggests that a US queen and an NZ queen are the same size, so it might have been that we had odd size rental beds.

These appear to be the sizes of beds available in NZ.

New Zealand Mattress Sizes
    (width cm x length cm)
    Long Single _______ 90 x 203
    King Single ______ 105 x 203
    Long Double ______ 135 x 203
    Queen ____________ 150 x 203
    King _____________ 165 x 203
    Super King _______ 180 x 203
    Californian King _ 200 x 203
    Single ____________ 90 x 190
    Three Quarter ____ 120 x 190
    Double ___________ 135 x 190

For the most common bed size (NZ Queen) it is very similar in size to the US Queen which is 152 x 203 cm (which is the same as the UK King)

Ian

I brought all my double, queen and single size sheets from Canada (same as US sizes) and they fit fine on the beds here. Bring them. they ae good for wrapping breakables when you are packing, and it is one less thing to buy here.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    These appear to be the sizes of beds available in NZ.

New Zealand Mattress Sizes
    (width cm x length cm)
    Long Single _______ 90 x 203
    King Single ______ 105 x 203
    Long Double ______ 135 x 203
    Queen ____________ 150 x 203
    King _____________ 165 x 203
    Super King _______ 180 x 203
    Californian King _ 200 x 203
    Single ____________ 90 x 190
    Three Quarter ____ 120 x 190
    Double ___________ 135 x 190

For the most common bed size (NZ Queen) it is very similar in size to the US Queen which is 152 x 203 cm (which is the same as the UK King)

Ian
    If your looking for a Californian King, and a Three quarter, then don't go shopping in Furniture Court as we don't stock those, but as for the others, then that's a yes.

Kim

Many thanks to everybody! With that many bed sizes to choose from, it seems like any sheets are bound to fit some bed. I'd never even heard of a California King before. I guess that must be Schwarzeneggar-sized.

I'd never even heard of a California King before. I guess that must be Schwarzeneggar-sized.