Thread: NZQA and Teacher registration...

Default NZQA and Teacher registration...

Hello...

I start my new job in January and have been asked to get my quals assessed asap ( came over on hubby's qualifications)...they have given me 2 application forms, one for NZQA and one to register as a teacher.

I have a BA ( Hons) in Education and have sent the NZQA part off...and I am hoping they come back and say my quals are ok and equivalent to a teachers in NZ...my question is....

Do you think I am right in waiting for NZQA paperwork to get back to me before I apply for Teacher Registration....surely I can't register until I know what my quals are equivalent to???

Does this make sense?!?

Any help would be good

J x

Yes you can send them off at the same time; I remember Speckythecky did that. I waited to hear back from NZQA but didn't have police check back before doing so. Just added a note to say I would email as soon as I got them and it was fine, so do the same with yours. I also asked NZQA to contact Teachers Council direct to save time, rather than back to me then me back to T.C. Does that make sense?
    Would love to hear more about your new job; I'm still hoping for a primary post but now thinking I may apply to do 1 yr diploma in Early Childhood., as so many jobs in this area...if you pick up any helpful hints I'd LOVE to hear from you!

Thanks for reply....think I need to do the paperwork for that now....If I remember rightly I will have to contact all of my past early years employers in the uk.... I won't be teaching in my new job role, but it is early years based, I will be working with home based carers ( childminders)...things like sorting out funding, co-ordinating toddler groups, giving advice and info....sounds quite varied, Im looking forward to it!

J x

Yes I sent payslips from County Councils, employment letters from each school and anytihng else I could think of so they had enough evidence.

Are you working for Porse by any chance? have seen alot of their adverts but without the ECE diploma can't apply.

Its not Porse, its Anglican Care Social Services...I would advise you definately apply anyway...my job description said qualified teacher and I have only just sent my quals off to find out if I am.

You may have more luck when you actually get out here...my advice would be to print off a load of your CV's and post them, or even better, drop them into the places, such as porse and have a chat....

Good Luck x

Hello!
    If it helps to know...I sent paperwork to NZQA and then realised that I could send off for teacher registration at the same time so there was 2/3 weeks between the two applications but...Teacher Registration will only be completed when NZQA is completed and NZQA also sent their assessment directly to Teachers Council. In the same week I received my NZQA assessment, notification from Teachers Council and my registration card (size of a credit card).
    My B.Ed (not Hons) was assessed at Level 7 and equivalent to NZ Diploma of Teaching which I have assumed is correct?
    I sent every bit of paper I could find hoping that it would speed things along!
    Hope that your paperwork comes through soon.
    B.