Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Wanaka?

Default yay !!!

We are all going to be camping in your garden !!!

now theres a thought ENZ camping weekend ????

vic

Funny you should say that Vic, we have given our tent a trial run in the garden today Should be alset for next weekend, just waiting for the weather report

Default weather ?

lots of it - absolutely every where !!!

Hows the new job going ?

Really good, much better than what I was doing before..... I'm not far from where you work now.

LOL

i know my spies are everywhere

Hey, who says we'll have a garden? If we do, all are welcome anyway.....

Thanks for the info CatherineP, I'm sure we'll be in touch once babies are out of the way

The last time I went down there it was on a Yamaha 1200...so your probably right...5 hrs driving miss daisy..lol
    the flight is probably under an 1hr maybe..

Hi Catherine, my name's Pam am new on here, and looking for help and advise regarding moving to NZ, I live in Lancashire, England.
    Myself, hubby, daughter, son in law two grandaughters 2yrs & 5months old are all considering selling up and moving to NZ, we want to buy a house big enough for us all to live in. We are all self employed my husband a mortgage broker is the work for him whereyou are, also could you tell me abit more about where you live schools shops neighbours climate etc. Kindest Regards Pamx

Smile New & Looking for help and advice please.

[

Dear Catherine,

Myself, hubby, daughter, son in law & 2 Grandaughter's 2yrs & 5mths old want to sell up and come and live in NZ, we are all self employed my hubby a mortgage broker, insurance advisor, is there any work in your parts for him,

Please could you kindly let me know more about where you live maybe pics would be nice, info on schools, shops , food etc.

Thank you
    Pam

Hi

Although Wanaka is a great place the one drawback is employment. Some people get lucky in terms of finding comparable jobs to previous ones,but quite often people end up doing something completely different. The main Industries unsurprisingly are hospitality and building related professions although the 4000 resident population still need other professional services, but opportunities can be quite limited. Not sure about Mortgage Advisors - most people seem to go through the banks although there are a handful of independent people here. Quite often people do get jobs here through knowing people which is not partciularly helpful when you are relocating, but can mean that if it is the area for you a decent length stay if a feasable option might be beneficial in the long run. There can be plenty of cleaning (motel/apartments), shop, fruit picking, restaurant work available and you would be surprised the level of skills those doing these jobs have. They often pay better than other types of work as well, but are not for everyone.

I am a Secondary School teacher and got PR as a result of this, but did not have a job when PR was granted. We came here hoping to find work but were under no illusions that this would be easy. I work PT at a Fitness Centre (work I did as an 18 year old!!!) for relatively very little pay and work with the NZ Ski and Snowboard teams- great fun and pays better!!!!. My husband works in Hospitality here in Wanaka having previously been a Royal Mail Senior Manager - a major change. We also have a flat/apartment we rent out that helps pay the bills. We, like most people here, live very frugally as the choice we have made is to be in Wanaka for all it has to offer, but accept that some aspects of a lifestyle you may desire may not be possible in one of the most expensive areas of the country. You make your choices.

Housing is expensive - best to look at real estate web sites to get an idea as it depends so much what your expectation/needs are. www.realestate.co.nz may help. (this area is Central Otago or Lakes District)

Schools are good especially if your children are sporty. There is 1 secondary School and 2 primary schools Plenty of sports activities/competitive teams and very strong arts/dance/music.

Climate is good - dry. warm 25 degrees average in Summer, cool in winter. Doesn't tend to snow in the town just on the mountains. Houses are not built well so can be cold compared with the UK central heating/insulation.

www.lakewanaka.co.nz can have some good information/photos and links to the local newspaper Wanaka Sun and The Messenger www.printit.co.nz/messenger.html a free weekly publication containing lots of local stuff. Definately worth a look at the on-line version. Gives you a feel of things.

The only way to really know if its the place for you is to visit and check it out. Hopefully some of the above will be helpful.

Catherine

We have a garden soon to be taken up with a wooden tower and swing I believe - just waiting for the 'expert' to find the tools still packed in the shipping boxes after 3 years!!! There'll still be some space left after (I Hope!!!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast