Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents visa - can apply for a 12 month visitors visa and come across to NZ while they wait for us to become eligible to apply for PR

Question Parents visa - can apply for a 12 month visitors visa and come across to NZ while they wait for us to become eligible to apply for PR

Can anyone advise me on the following.

I am currently living in NZ on a works to residancy visa (6 months in), having a great time!

My wife's parents are retiring in 6 months and selling their business.
    Want to know if they can apply for a 12 month visitors visa and come across to NZ while they wait for us to become eligible to apply for PR, then they would apply for PR as they have no family in the UK.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leejenns View Post
    Can anyone advise me on the following.

I am currently living in NZ on a works to residancy visa (6 months in), having a great time!

My wife's parents are retiring in 6 months and selling their business.
    Want to know if they can apply for a 12 month visitors visa and come across to NZ while they wait for us to become eligible to apply for PR, then they would apply for PR as they have no family in the UK.

thanks
    Not sure that I can answer your question, but do wonder why you are waiting to be eligible to apply for PR, I would have thought you were already eligible? You don't have to wait 2 years before applying i.e. as long as you have enough points you can apply at any time. Many people come over on a WTR and then apply almost straight away for their PR.

Also, AFAIK if your parents did come over on a 12 month visa then they would then need to stay out of NZ for the at least the next 12 months. Is this what you are already expecting if not I'm sure that someone can confirm or deny?

Are you looking for the best options for them to join you? If so, there may be other options open that could work to your advantage e.g. LTBV?

Ian

I believe there have been recent (Nov '07) changes to the Parents and Grandparents visa allowing them to enter NZ multiple times over a 3 year period. No one stay can be more than 6 months but parents can then leave and come back as long as they don't stay more than 18 months in NZ across the 3 year visa period.

More info here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...alvisitors.htm

and here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...itpleentry.htm

HTH
    Moorf

Good point Moorf, I was only thinking about the visitors visa.

It's interesting that you can apply for a 9 month visitors visa which you may be able to extend an additional 3 months up to a total of 12 months whilst the parents visa you can only stay for a max of 6 months at a time.

Although I suppose a quick visit to Oz would be suffice to come back and stay again.

Ian

It's interesting that you can apply for a 9 month visitors visa which you may be able to extend an additional 3 months up to a total of 12 months whilst the parents visa you can only stay for a max of 6 months at a time.
    I guess it gives parents the option of more frequent visits, although I'm not sure I'd want to be flying back and forth that much. Yep, the quick trip to Oz looks like it's an option with the parent visa. I can't see anywhere where it says there's a time limit on staying out of the country.... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    I guess it gives parents the option of more frequent visits, although I'm not sure I'd want to be flying back and forth that much. Yep, the quick trip to Oz looks like it's an option with the parent visa. I can't see anywhere where it says there's a time limit on staying out of the country.... anyone?
    From the NZIS website:-

Is there any time limit for me to stay outside New Zealand before I can return to New Zealand on this multiple visa?

No. You can return to New Zealand at any time during the currency of your multiple visa; however, you must not exceed the maximum entitlement of 18 months in New Zealand during the currency of your visa.
    Ian

This may be me getting the wrong end of the stick again, but...........

A Work to Residence permit is completely different from a Work Permit. AFAIK someone on a Work To Residence permit does has to fufill a certain time frame before applying for Residency. Someone on a Work Permit can apply for residency at any time (obviously allowing enough time for the Residency to be granted before the Work Permit expires - thus avoiding being an overstayer)

This may have all changed but I thought that someone from the UK got an automatic 6 month visa, they could then apply for a 3 month extention taking them upto a 9 month visa. Has it changed so that you can get a 9 month visa which can be extended to 12 months?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182 View Post
    This may be me getting the wrong end of the stick again, but...........

A Work to Residence permit is completely different from a Work Permit. AFAIK someone on a Work To Residence permit does has to fufill a certain time frame before applying for Residency. Someone on a Work Permit can apply for residency at any time (obviously allowing enough time for the Residency to be granted before the Work Permit expires - thus avoiding being an overstayer)

This may have all changed but I thought that someone from the UK got an automatic 6 month visa, they could then apply for a 3 month extention taking them upto a 9 month visa. Has it changed so that you can get a 9 month visa which can be extended to 12 months?
    As you say, the wrong end of the stick

A WTR is as you say different but there is nothing that stops you from applying for a PR whilst on it with no need to wait for a certain time (I know this for certain because this is what we did). If you do apply and get granted in under 3 months you may get a Section 18A condition.

It should also be noted that at least one person on this forum waited the 2 years as implied with a WTR and then found it difficult to get their PR in the time left before the visa expired.

You are correct about a visitor from the UK gets automatically granted a 6 month visa which can be extended, but you can apply for a 9 month visitor visa if you prefer. So it hasn't changed, 'automatic' visa is still 6 months.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post

A WTR is as you say different but there is nothing that stops you from applying for a PR whilst on it with no need to wait for a certain time (I know this for certain because this is what we did). If you do apply and get granted in under 3 months you may get a Section 18A condition.

It should also be noted that at least one person on this forum waited the 2 years as implied with a WTR and then found it difficult to get their PR in the time left before the visa expired.

Ian
    Very interesting, thanks for the clarification Ian

Default wait

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    As you say, the wrong end of the stick

You are correct about a visitor from the UK gets automatically granted a 6 month visa which can be extended, but you can apply for a 9 month visitor visa if you prefer. So it hasn't changed, 'automatic' visa is still 6 months.

Ian
    Thanks for all your input, i was under the impression that as i was on a WTR that i had to wait 2 years to apply for PR, once 2 years were up PR would be issued as long as our police checks and medicals came back ok? So can i apply now for PR AND whats a section 18A?.

We have been here for 5 months, if we apply for PR now will we have to go through our medicals and police checks again? and will the police checks be completed by NZ or UK?sorry lots of questions but want to try and get PR sorted asap so we are in a position to assist our parents attaining PR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast