Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring Cat from UK to NZ - info please!

Default Bring Cat from UK to NZ - info please!

Please can someone give me some info on bringing my cat to NZ? This is the first I've looked into it so I don't know anything about costs or which vaccinations she needs. Thanks very much!

Rachel and Minky

if you go the NZ biosecurity site- (biosecurity.govt.nz), you can find all the information you need there.

I'm looking right now to see if I can directly link you to the UK requirements, I know it's a lot less of a hassle then it is for me bringing my cat from the US.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...maniic.uke.htm

That link gives the requirements for bringing a cat from the UK.

5.2 The animals must have been resident in the United Kingdom and/or the Republic of Ireland for the 6 months prior to export or since birth and the animals must be free of quarantine restrictions.

5.3 Animals must not be more than 42 days pregnant at the date of shipment.

5.4 Animals must be more than 16 weeks old at departure.

5.5 Animals imported directly from New Zealand into the United Kingdom and/or the Republic of Ireland may be re-exported to New Zealand with less than 6 months residency under the following additional conditions:

5.5.1 the animal has resided continuously in the United Kingdom and/or the Republic of Ireland since being imported directly from New Zealand;

5.5.2 the animal was identified by microchip prior to departure from New Zealand.

5.5.3 Animals imported under the above conditions will require a letter of equivalence to be issued exempting the animal from the residency requirements prior to departure from New Zealand.

6.1 A permit to import is not required.

8 In the case of a dog and/or cat:

8.1 Within 30 days of the scheduled date of shipment, the animal was subject to two faecal examinations, at least 14 days apart, using a sensitive flotation procedure (able to detect 50 eggs per gram) which was negative for hookworm eggs;

8.2 Within 30 days of the scheduled date of shipment the animal was treated twice, at least 14 days apart, with a broad spectrum anthelmintic(s) effective against nematodes, cestodes and trematodes, at the manufacturers recommended dose rate(s);

8.3 No more than 10 days and no less than 2 days prior to the scheduled date of shipment, the animal was treated with a topical application of Fipronil at the recommended dose rate

As for the cost of transport- it will cost me approx $1000 US for transport alone (from the US). I've seen quotes for costs of shipping dogs and cats on here before, so you might want to search the boards for that. Also, I'm sure other people will be along to contribute.
    Last edited by dilanium; 4th January 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: costs

From the Uk it was going to cost us around 1000.

We had 4 so they all have lovely new homes and we have 2 lovely new cats here

We brought our cat Tigger with us. She was part of the family, so she emigrated.

How?

1 Go and talk to a pet shipping company in your area. Use Google to find one.

2 Talk to your vet about all the tests, jabs, microchips and paperwork that is needed.

3 Paperwork at this end? "Is that your cat? Sign here, thank you".

She flew London to LA to Auckland to New Plymouth on Air New Zealand, and was officially described on the paperwork as "cute". All we had to deal with then was a jetlagged cat......

Agree with Pete,

We brought our (officially described) black 'shorthair moggy' with us too. She was nearly fourteen when we travelled so we took advice first from our vet (which I recommend) then booked her in with Airpets (who I also recommend).

We visited Airpets and they showed us the crates they hand-build for the voyage and saw where she would be kept prior to flight. We had to provide two stool samples (from the cat, silly ) - one a month before and one a few days before if I remember. As I travelled before the wife, the wife took the cat down a day before she had to travel.

Airpets do an inspection of the cat and observe the cat overnight, and also provide de-worming and anti-tick treatmet (required by MAF). Cats have to travel in a fasting state so are only provided water and the crate locked for the duration of the journey.

Once she arrived in Welly I was called and had to call in at the AirNZ freight terminal, pay the $35 (or so) document fee and the crate unlocked. She was pleased to see me and appeared to suffer no undue stress from the journey, other than being ravenously hungry. Once home she slept for an extended period and was right as rain. The wooden transit case has become useful for vet visits over here as well.

It cost us ~ 750 to ship the cat, but was worth it.

I do recommend having your pet shipped a day after you travel (if you are going to live not far from an airport) as this allows you to get a decent rest and just wait for the call to collect your pet.

HTH

Rod

WOW! thanks very much for all your information, it appears to be more straight forward than I first thought, how exciting! I'll get to work on it. Minky got spayed yesterday and they managed to microchip her at a reduced cost att he same time so I suppose one step has been done. Thanks again :-)

Our Moggy (Buffy) due to land at Auckland tomorrow AM. We used Golden Arrow and have been massively impresssed with all their help. They will look after all the papework and we had to supply samples beforehand. The cost has been close to 1000 but we consider it money well spent.

We brought our two cats here in September 2007 and couldn't praise airpets enough. They were extremely helpful and efficient. They stayed with Airpets for two days so arrived two days behind us giving us enough time to deal with jetlag and be ready to collect them.

Our box of cat arrived today. Very well packed and showing no signs of stress. Paperwork at Auckland a little more involved than I was led to believe, i think this is due to the building work and relocation of offices being done at the airport rather than the fault of Golden Arrow.

Had to report to the MAF import office now at Ogilvie Crescent, pay $40 and collect paperwork. Walk over to the International part of the airport, where you arrive/ depart and go to the customs office-- not easy to find. No-one on the desk so had to use the phone and someone arrived shortly, took my papers and arrived 10 mins later with more papers. Had to go back to the MAF office to see the Air NZ desk and pay another $33 for another piece of paper. Walked around corner to the waiting room and Buffy was brought in.

So although the procedure at this end is a little onerous, all the people were helpful and efficient. Buffy looked happy to see us, the crate she was in was way above what I expected both in size and quality.

Money well spent, she is now fast asleep in her "aclimatisation cage" having had a little snack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast