Thread: HGV License help

Question HGV License help

We are very new at this and have a question concerning equivilant qualifications.
    My husband has an class 1 C+E HGV license. His job is on the immediate skills shortage list but we are unsure as to which level of NZ license his is equivilant to.
    Has anybody else had their class 1 license transfered/assessed.
    Many thanks

Marybelle

You'll find that myself and Stevie C are the resident forum truckers here, and the answer to your question is, UK Class 1 = NZ Class 5. You will be able to ride on the UK licence for 12 months but must convert to NZ licence after that, and for that, its just a multiple choice question scratch card.

Yes the job is on the immediate skills list, but you'll only receive a WP(with job offer), or if you can find an accredited company, which are few and far between in the trucking industry, then you'll manage a WTR.

Kim

Thanks for your reply Kim

Will he have to send his license to NZQA or not? He also has a digital taco card, will this be of use in NZ?

Cheers Marybelle

Quote Originally Posted by marybelle View Post
    Thanks for your reply Kim

Will he have to send his license to NZQA or not? He also has a digital taco card, will this be of use in NZ?

Cheers Marybelle
    No need for the licence to be sent. The only thing he will have to provide to satisfy immigration is proof of 3 years experience, and he'll be able to do that from a letter from current employer.

Oh that word Tacho, now that's brought a wry smile to my face.....technology its a wonderful word isn't it. Just tell him to bring lots of Biro's as the logbook is alive and kicking down here.

Kim

Hi Kim

The 3 years experience has thrown me a little. The NZ Gov website said class 5 license or class 4 with 5yrs experience. We took this to mean that you only have to have x-years experience with the lower class of license. If we are wrong then we may be in trouble as he has only been licensed for trucks for 15 months or so.
    Looks like our dream will fall at the first hurdle!

Marybelle

Hi Kim

The 3 years experience has thrown me a little. The NZ Gov website said class 5 license or class 4 with 5yrs experience. We took this to mean that you only have to have x-years experience with the lower class of license. If we are wrong then we may be in trouble as he has only been licensed for trucks for 15 months or so.

Marybelle
    he will need some more years under his belt 1st he's still in the crash zone

Hi Kim

Marybelle
    Don't worry too much about experience side. NZIS issued my permit without seeing my driving licence. They were more concerned about job offer and contract of employment.
    I have learnt to not take everything on NZIS website as strict or rigid as it first seems.
    They have to have some guidelines but once in NZ and in employment etc, the guidelines can become quite flexible.

mary spoken to the visa people today and you will need 3yrs+ to get a job offer

Evidence will be in the form of your licence to a degree. Ok you can have the classification on the licence but still not have driven, yet as most employers will more than likely insist on a letter from your current employer and that would more than likely mean you are currently employed by a haulage firm.

Yes there is a chance you haven't driven for a number of years but still hold the licence, but i would imagine questions, or at the worst a driving assessment would be required to prove that you are still capable.

Kim