Thread: Had a lovely day

Default Had a lovely day

Today we decided to catch up on some of the touristy things that we haven't yet done, even though we've been here over a year, so we started off with that Auckland icon, the Sky Tower.

Well, you won't get me up it again. I felt sick up on the Sky Deck and still dizzy once back on solid ground. The kids had mixed feelings: Will thought it was cool (he's 11) and Franca (10) was scared in the lifts and also felt sick. Like mother, like daughter.

Then we went had lunch in the Elliot Street Food Court, under the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Albert Street. Great value! Four of us had Chinese from Wonder Wok, plus soft drinks and it came to $22.50. Not bad!!

From there, we strolled to the Auckland Art Gallery. I enjoyed it immensely, Franca loved the imagination stations where she could be creative and make things, Steve endured it (when asked why by Will, answered "Because I like Mummy") and Will disliked every minute of it and told us most vociferously all the way round.

So then we drove out of the city along Tamaki Drive, which must be the prettiest road in Auckland, stopped for an ice cream in Mission Bay (yummy, bananaberry and marshmallow coconut!!) and then went up Mount Wellington. If you want to take visitors to a (literal) high spot, I would now recommend Mt. Wellington over One Tree Hill. You can see the volcano crater really well, there's a bit of the history of it's settlement and the views are just as panoramic...and no, I haven't got any pics, sorry.

Just got back and walked the dog in a beautiful, sunny Bucklands Beach and am now sipping a chilled glass of Wither Hills Sauv Blanc...bliss.

Another day in paradise, as they say.

Gil
    x

PS I am still on holiday, can you tell?

oooooooo Gil...sounds like a good day to me!

Glad you fitted a walk with the dog in aswell!

J x

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    So then we drove out of the city along Tamaki Drive, which must be the prettiest road in Auckland, stopped for an ice cream in Mission Bay
    Sounds like a lovely day!

We cycled along Tamaki Drive with the whole family yesterday, from St Heliers (some from Glendowie) to Okahu Bay, with an ice cream and a swim at Mission Bay on the way back. Very good route to cycle, especially if you are somewhat dependent on cycle paths with four kids (some of them only four years old).

We have cycled that way into town as well, and find it only takes marginally longer than the bus.

This afternoon, we went all along the sandspit in the Tamaki Estuary, so we could almost have come over, Gil, it looks so close

Daniela

Now that sounds like a good day Daniela, cycling along the paths to town. Will definitely try that. The sandspit looks really close doesn't it!

And our dog (Olive) needs two walks a day Jade, but I don't count those towards the exercise stakes. She's skinny mongrel dog, shaped a bit like a greyhound, so we got her on the basis that owners grow to look like their dogs because we had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the UK for the last seven years.....

Gil

I agree with Tamaki drive being a nice road, I love driving the bit from kellys to Mission Bay in any weather, is particularly spectacular in a thunderstorm!

sorry you didnt like sky tower much, I loved it, although not brave enough to do the jump or the walk round it! Hubby eats at the Elliot food court quite a lot and always gets nice stuff.

We started a project of climbing the volcanoes in Auckland, only managed Rangitoto, Mt Welly and One Tree Hill so far, they are such an easy walk from the nearest car park that even AJ managed it... (he cheated for Rangi and was still in my belly )

there really is a lot to do in and around Auckland that you could do something different every weekend for at least a year!

Gil, Happy New Year to your lot from us down here in Cambridge!!

Yes, life can be nice can't it. We did the Whangamata experience the other day, wonderful beach and seas, enjoyed being a "tourist" for once

Sipping on a cup of tea before venturing off to work - hols are over ......

Steve