Thread: diabetes type 1

Default diabetes type 1

Hello all!

We are currently spending our holidays in New Zealand again, this is our fourth time here. We really like this country a lot and we could imagine to spend more time here or even emigrate.
    Before starting any serouis thoughts about this, we wanted to ask if anyone has recently (2007) received PR with Type 1 Diabetes (main applicant or spouse), as we haven't read much about it in the forum for the last six months. We checked all official pages and links and did not get a clear answer.
    Even if the health status is good, it is still up to the immigration to decide whether we get PR or not.
    We would be very greatful for any comments! Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Hi Holland

Thanks for the links; as they have last posted six months ago: Does anybody know whether they got through?

Hi Cora,
    You really will not have any problems with Type 1 Diabetics. I am a Diabetic Type 1 myself and know several diabetics who have emigrated over here. I have not heard of one person who has been turned down because of their diabetes. They will refer you to the medical assesor but this is normal practice.The only problem that may exist is by compications caused by diabetes such as renal failure which I am sure you don't have.
    Also I have been here 4 months continuous and my diabetes has improved considerably. The doctor puts it down to less stress. I was on 180 units a day and I am now on 100 units a day and still reducing. I have also been taken off my blood pressure tablets as my blood pressure is fine now.Obviously everyone is different and just because it is improving me doesn't mean it will improve everyone.A good friend of mine who has been here 8 months is a type 2 diabetic and he is no longer taking his metformin as he no longer needs it.
    If I can be of any more help please contact me but you have to do 5 posts before you can pm or I can pm you. Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Kind regards

Dave
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 8th January 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Hi Caroline & Dave

Thank you very much for your answer. It really was very helpful and took some doubts from our minds Great, that your condition improved after immigration to New Zealand!
    We were a bit concerned about beginning the whole process of immigration and finally get turned down because of the medical condition. Its reassuring to know that if everything else is ok, the medical condition will not make all efforts useless.
    We think that with this information we will try to undertake the necessary steps and begin to post our EOI when we return from our holidays in mid February.
    Thanks again for your help and wish you a great day! (there goes another 10 units...)

As Dave has said, don't worry.

My wife is a type 1 diabetic and we were concerned that it might be a problem.

We got PR and came over in October. The process took a bit longer as our application had to be sent over to the medical officer in New Zealand for approval.

Insulin and everything else is readily available and my wife is more than happy with the service she is receiving from the medical centre.

Any questions, just ask.

Gilly