Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home phone packages

Default Home phone packages

Hi,

When we first got here we set up a phone package which is rental and 'talk it up' ( I believe) basically its about $90.00 a month for the phone..which I think is a bit expensive...we get 6000 minutes a month...which when I first arrived seemed quite appealing, but realistically when I start work next week, we are going to be making weekend calls to the UK and possibly the odd evening weekday.

I have since been on the providers website ( not sure if I am allowed to post the name??)....and am bamboozled with all the packages...I can't seem to find one that is cheaper and offers a package where you pay a set fee, and get weekend calls in with it. I don't see the point in paying all this money when there is no chance we are going to be on the phone for what equates to 5 hours a day!!

Anyone care to share what deals you are on? and what you get for your money?

I don't think the package we are on is really expensive...if we we're going to use it...

Thanks in advance

j x

Is that cost just for the phone line or does it include broadband?

If it's just for the phone line then I would say that it is expensive.

Do you use Skype to phone the UK, it works out cheaper than using the normal phone lines.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Broadband on top of that!!!!! help!

No we haven't got a skype phone how does that work??

J x

You can skype from your pc to any phone or other pc in the world.

www.skype.com

You need a webcam/microphone or you can get a little actual USB telephone that does this too.

We have got a basic line rental with Telecom, think its the anytime plan and use the 0161 prefix to make international calls.

Our internet is now via World Exchange basic cost of $40, then you pay per GB you use. http://www.wxc.co.nz/ there are cheaper packages, but we download things ALOT... so this was the best one for us.

Thanks Sal...we have a webcam and a speaker 'thingy' microphone coming over on our container should get it in a couple of weeks hopefully. Are the calls free through skype or have I heard this wrong somewhere??

on the 0161...do you pay per minute??

Sorry for all the questions ....

we pay $40 for broadband as well

0161 then 44etc gets you a reduced rate per minute, a 20-30 min call has cost us no more than $2.

Skype is free if its pc to pc as no actual telephone lines are involved. If you call house phone, it does cost, but is pretty cheap.

thanks sal

J x

we use Skype sometimes, but most often call UK via WebCall Direct http://www.webcalldirect.com/en/index.php
    It's about 10 Euro cents for up to an hour's call and you use your landline phone which connects via the internet. Try the free trial...

Gil

Skype all the way for us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast