Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurses - Annual Practising Certificate

Hi Nicky,

My present work doesn't know about our plans to emigrate yet either but I found HR very helpful. They weren't keen initially but when I explained I didn't want my boss to know yet, especially with the present climate I am working in, they readily agreed to provide the information. Give it a try!

Nicki

Smile Quick Query

Hi all.....

Sorry to jump on the band wagon....for future reference! I've just heard that only one of my references has been received for my registration application....each referee has already sent them twice so fingers crossed, third time lucky! Hopefully, it'll be processed soon and I'll be progressing onto the Annual Practising Certificate stage?

Evidence of professional development hours, (a minimum of 60 hours in the last three years) verified by your employer or nurse educator.
    Would this include mandatory training? Manual Handling and Resus, especially, are changing all the time so you're developing skills and knowledge each time you attend updates! And if so, presumably each annual update would be counted as hours?

Thanx

Sue

I'm hoping it does include mandatory training - this is after all professional development.

As regards the 'lost' references - I had to get my transcript sent 3 times - thankfully the administrator was a friend and never charged me at all. Once they had received it I got my registration through within 2-3 weeks. I believe it is quite common for them to 'lose' documents.

Thanx Nickydwuk

I'd also heard that things get 'mislaid' in the offices!? Admittedly, we're in no major hurry and in all fairness, I could've chased things sooner but hey, hopefully those remaining references are on their way as I type. Fingers crossed it'll not take too long. If successful, I'll be sure to include all the mandatory stuff too.

Good luck with everything, you sound like you're well organised. We've been in go slow, explore things mode for the last 6-8 months, not really very prepared. I have this horrible feeling it's going to hit us all of a sudden and panic mode will set in!

Anyway, thanx again

Sue

We have been in research mode for almost 12 months. Now I have a job & my registration it seems to be happening quickly. I think it is just that we can start to do more things now so time seems to fly by. When do you hope to be in NZ and where abouts do you hope to be?

Question

We'd originally opted for the North Island but no firm preferences, it's going to be very dependent on the availability of jobs in the field of Learning Disability. I'm currently registered with Geneva Health who have basically suggested that the main areas they have contacts in are Welli, ChC, Bay of Plenty and Auk. I've sent my CV to a couple of other places who seemed interested but had no current vacancies.

As I said, we're in no major hurry, as such. At the moment, I'm working for the NHS but the Government has set out recommendations that should be in effect by 2010 at the latest. Our establishment is set for closure by March 2009. Part of me wants to stay to the bitter end and see the process through for the clients sake, and I do feel like I'm kinda jumping ship but at the end of the day, I can't put my life on hold forever! As and when the time comes we're.....

Quote Originally Posted by SNK05 View Post
    I'm currently registered with Geneva Health who have basically suggested that the main areas they have contacts in are Welli, ChC, Bay of Plenty and Auk. I've sent my CV to a couple of other places who seemed interested but had no current vacancies.
    A word of caution about using agencies such as Geneva Health, they won't neccessarily know, or tell you of all the possible job options that you may be interested in. They certainly imply that the jobs that they get you are the only options available in the location that you choose, and this is simply not true.

I'm not saying not to use agencies, just that if they don't offer any suitable opportunities for the location that you want to move to, then you need to investigate other sources of jobs such as the DHBs websites, or other agencies.

Ian

Smile Thanx

Thanx Ian

I'd heard some horror stories about agencies in general and was initially reluctant to register with any, but they've been helpful and quite reassuring at times. I would agree, best not to solely rely on them tho.

I've invested a little time exploring the DHB's. I think when I hear about my registration, I'll probably be more proactive in sending out CV's and explore the possibilities more.

Hello nickydwuk,

I just got a letter signed by my line manager confirming hours for the past three years - pretty straightforward as I work f/time. Just sent one letter with application and for annual practicing cert, I just ticked the box re pers development. I guess it's a little like us here in the UK, there are only a handful that are checked and then you would produce your portfolio as proof. I had no probs getting mine and nothing was checked.

I haven't visited the forum recently but the process to emigrate seems quite straight-forward so far. ChCh hospital very flexible with job start date. We are just waiting for medical reports to arrive and then can post ITA. Looking forward to ?meeting at the hospital when you start in Sept.

POLICE CERTS REQUESTED 24/11/07
    EOI SUBMITTED 24/11/07
    EOI SELECTED 5/12/07
    HOUSE ON MARKET 10/12/07
    ITA SENT 28/12/07
    POLICE CERTS REC'D 7/1/08
    MEDICALS 10/1/08 - £650 FOR THE 2 OF US (incl Xrays) await reports
    OH passport, sent off for renewal, 15/01/08 as less than 12 months on

We have had a change of plan and I won't be starting work until 6th October. Do I apply for my APC now & then renew before I start or apply nearer the time? If I send it off now I will not have to get a letter of good character from the NMC (they will probably charge for this) but if I apply later I will. Also if I get it now and then renew will I still have to get this statement because I haven't practised in NZ? The NZNC have STILL not got back to me and I emailed them on 7th January.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast