Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurses - Annual Practising Certificate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nurses - Annual Practising Certificate

I am in the process of apply for my APC. As I have not worked in NZ all my work has been in the UK I have to give evidence of my practice hours. How did others get this? Is a statement from the HR dept of the trust ok or do you have to get a statement from the ward manager/matron? I have worked for 2 trusts so would have some problem in getting this from the ward managers. Also how did you show that you had completed 60 hours of professional developement? When they ask for the working hours to be broken down year by year when is each year deemed to have started?

I have asked these questions of the NZNC but have not yet had a response

Hi Clare will be able to answer more fully tonight but not surprised you've not heard from NZNC as they were shut from Dec20 to Jan 3rd

Hi There

For your experience your matron should be able to provide an authorised statement of your work experience - better still if you write it then she/he can cross check it and then sign it off for you. As a previous matron thats the course i would recommend, make sure that you do this year by year and put your whole time equivilent

e.g. 2005 - Ward 24 Orthopaedics Staff Nurse 0.8wte (30hrs per week)

Do the same with any study leave or courses that you have attended.

. that should suffice for your APC requirements. (thats what I did!).

If you need any more help will be pleased to advise

TTFN Clare

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Also how did you show that you had completed 60 hours of professional developement?...
    (
    We sent in photocopies of the certificates that were awarded.

Ian

and remember, Nicky, if your APC expires before you start work in NZ, you'll have to do it all again! Depending on your birthday, APC is only valid for 3, 6, 9 or ( if you're lucky ) 12 months.......

As my birthday is end of August my APC is due for renewal end of September. I will be starting work in NZ in Sept so does this mean I will have to make sure I get these copies again?

Hi Nicky .
    I think this is what you need

Cycle for practising certificate renewal

The following table shows how the Council will process practising certificates.

Quarter - in which you were born
    Renewal date for your annual practising certificate
    When your practising certificate application will be sent to you

1 April to 30 June 1 July Late March
    1 July to 30 September 1 October Late June
    1 October to 31 December 1 January Late September
    1 January to 31 March 1 April Mid December

Nurses with overseas addresses

Renewal application forms (with overseas addresses) are not automatically posted overseas to nurses. If you live overseas and want to renew your practising certificate, please contact the Council to confirm your address and your application form will then be posted to you.

Helen

Hi again, also found this answer to your earlier question www.nursingcouncil.org.nz

.Evidence of your practice hours, (a minimum of 450 hours in the last three years), verified by your employer.

The evidence could be a letter from your employer, or a certificate of service or a pay slip that must show the actual hours you have worked in the past year.

Evidence of practice hours is to be signed by your employer and the name, designation, address and telephone number of the person providing the verification included.

2. Evidence of professional development hours, (a minimum of 60 hours in the last three years) verified by your employer or nurse educator.

This must include a summary of the actual hours, signed by your employer or educator to confirm your participation.

This person is to include his or her name, designation, address and phone number.

It must include an explanation of what you have learnt from these activities.
    Helen

You should be OK Nicky, you shouldn't have to get the copies again because as long as you have started working as a nurse in NZ, they will renew your cert.
    I had a bit of worry as when I started working here, I only had 4 weeks or so to go on my APC and on the form for renewal I had to confirm that I'd practised 100s of hours and studied x number of hours in NZ, I'd done all the required hours in the UK but obviously not in NZ.
    When I eventually got through to the NZNC, they said I was exempt from the requirements as my NZ nursing reg had only been issued in the last year. It didn't say that anywhere on the form!
    So, starting work in Sept, I reckon you'll be fine.

Thanks. I am now off to write to the matron at my previous trust to confirm my hours and copy my PPD certificates. The only problem I have now is that I am a community nurse, we don't have matrons and my DN doesn't know of my plans to emigrate yet - I wasn't going to tell her until nearer the time. Do Ihave to get her to verify my hours or can HR do it for me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast