Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer money & pension - who's best?

Default Transfer money & pension - who's best?

I have had a couple of calls from Moneycorp, one today and one yesterday, asking me to set up an account with them for when we are ready to transfer our funds (we are very ready, but the house needs to sell!!!). I found them a little pushy, and was wondering who you could recommend?
    I told them I wanted the money transfer service and also advice on transferring our private pensions. They didn't seem to understand what I wanted, they thought I wanted to set up a regular payment to keep them going - I had to point out that I couldn't continue a uk pension without a uk job "oh yes, that's right" He said All He could do was tell me of some pension providers.
    I see that another thread has spoken highly of fx, and I've had a look, but haven't gone as far as filling out any forms. I've 'phoned the banks that we have accounts with, and they just simply offer the 'rate of the day', and they seem to want to charge quite a lot to transfer.Can anyone give me the name of any company's they may have used to transfer pension funds from uk to NZ?

I've just spoken to pension forecast (0845 3000 168 ) and they told me that 30 years are needed for full uk state pension, but no one was able to tell me if and how NZ top it up at retirement, I think I'm right in thinking that they do? Depending on years worked in NZ?
    ...While I'm being soooooo demanding (sorry), do you know wether you can open a NZ bank account on a tourist visa, or will we have to wait untill our temp work visa comes through? I've sent an email to Warren, at NBNZ but as usual, I want an answer now!!!
    Thanks everyone for your time and ever helpfull comments
    Cath X

Quote Originally Posted by cathgates View Post
    ...While I'm being soooooo demanding (sorry), do you know wether you can open a NZ bank account on a tourist visa, or will we have to wait untill our temp work visa comes through? I've sent an email to Warren, at NBNZ but as usual, I want an answer now!!!
    Thanks everyone for your time and ever helpfull comments
    Cath X
    Can't help you much on the other questions - still in the UK. I have opened an account with Hifx - they seem friendly enough and not too pushy. As for bank accounts - we had one opened for us without our knowledge. WE went to th Expo and entered a 'prize drae'. Next thing I know I got an email form Westpac giving me my account number and thanking me for choosing them. Luckily they were the bank we were considering anyway. I did contact them and they were happy to close it or just keep it open until we arrive later this year. So in answer to your question - yes you can open a bank acount without a visa - we did!!

Thanks Nicky
    Cath X

We also used HIFX who were great and ASB think they r called Commonwealth Bank in the UK they were very helpful while we were in the Uk and since being over here, We use the ASB for everything, we tried wespac and found that were treated just like a number so we dropped them, but they do seem to have more branches and more "hole in the walls" for getting out ur cash.
    Joanne

I've used Hi-fx for all my transfers and they've been pretty efficient. Must say I've noticed they've started getting a bit greedy on their cut though and you can get better rates elsewhere. I've just done a trade with Hi-fx (buying sterling with kiwi) and I managed to haggle them down a bit (from 2.5188 to 2.5125) but they were still not as competitive as Worldfirst. Unfortunately I don't have an account setup yet with worldfirst and wanted to take advantage of the good rate today so had to take Hi-fx's best.

Quote Originally Posted by incredible hulse View Post
    I've used Hi-fx for all my transfers and they've been pretty efficient. Must say I've noticed they've started getting a bit greedy on their cut though and you can get better rates elsewhere. I've just done a trade with Hi-fx (buying sterling with kiwi) and I managed to haggle them down a bit (from 2.5188 to 2.5125) but they were still not as competitive as Worldfirst. Unfortunately I don't have an account setup yet with worldfirst and wanted to take advantage of the good rate today so had to take Hi-fx's best.
    I had a similar experience with xetrade.

I strongly suspect that the rates someone gets quoted is dependent on the amount of business they have done before.

Something like bait and switch, but a little more subtle.

Pension transfer talk to paul@coastalfinancial.co.nz +64 27 278 7087 he has given us such good advise, we have all our policies with him. He was recommended to us by a friend.

we used HiFX - no problems-negotiate a contact either todays rate or can set a required rate + ASB Bank Migrants branch who were negoitiable on mortgage rates
    UK/NZ rate lowest its been for 12mths (2.50 region)- so good time to switch NZ funds back into £sterling if fancy a bit of forex trading/gambling - average around 2.85 so nice 12% potential gain (this is no use to people transfering other way...)
    no nothing about pensions-sorry
    WTD

Thanks to all for sharing your personal experiences.
    Cath X

HIFX were good for me... its a volatile market at the moment though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast