Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to take a car?

Default How much to take a car?

I wonder if anyone out there has taken their car and if so what are the pro's and cons and how much does it cost from the UK? I think it is a stupid idea but boys and their cars don't like to be separated!

Hi

We have been wondering about this as well but we got a quote for £1175 with rjjfreight.co.uk I think. You also have to make sure that your car will pass all the necesssary compliance tests for NZ.

Try http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/ for more info. Try searching other threads for more information as well.

Cheers

I brought my car, could not think the thought of selling it and someone else driving it.
    I had to get new belts in the rear seat to get it pas a warrant of fitness, that was expensive since car was only equiped with lap belts, small rear seat that no one ever uses, there had to be a big modification done.Also extra stop lights in the rear and it was very hard to fit them since my car is a small US sportscar.

Friends of mine that came from UK had a really bad luck and their car did not go thru the test since their car model exists and is sold here but under another model name.They were not allowed to put it on the road here!
    Their car was sitting for a year and I do not dare to ask them how things are developing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by blearyjane View Post
    I wonder if anyone out there has taken their car and if so what are the pro's and cons and how much does it cost from the UK?
    I'll see if I can come up with a summary, but I'm bound to forget something.

Some of these things are optional, some aren't. I did the import myself, without an agency. I have also imported a left hand drive, and got the impression everyone was pickier and super correct because of that.

Statement of Compliance from Volkswagen dealer (to see if the car is potentially legal on the roads here, optional): $800
    Cleaning car professionally (before it went on container, optional): $500
    Shipping car: $3400
    MAF inspection: $80
    Fees for having underside steam cleaned and demurrage (?) charge and towing from port to inspection site: $500
    Having car towed from MAF site to AA compliance site: $80
    AA compliance check (includes WOF): $400
    Registration and plates: $230

(and of course, having our very own favourite car here: priceless)

That takes us to about $6000.

Now as I've mentioned, we had a couple of annoying things to do, and came across some payments to be made that we hadn't thought of. I also had a few things done before we shipped it, like new tyres, new exhaust, etc, to make it look nice.

The only amendment the compliance centre wanted were the lack of a high brake light in the back, but there were things like brake disks not good enough, and something with the power steering that needed to be fixed.

With the added cost of the stuff that needed to be fixed (mainly the headlights), I think we get to about $7500.

So if you don't have any very special requirements that your car needs to fulfill, or it has great value for you personally, or you have space in your container, I doubt it is financially worth it.

Daniela

I did clean my car myself and drive it to the container.
    When it came to NZ I did go to customs and pay GST (refundable when residency went thru) (furniture as well)
    and a MAF inspection (80?).
    The company that handled container tried to screw me!
    They said that car could not be picked up and that t-h-e-y had to take it to several inspections and cost for heaps of certifications and that they would then transport it to my home.
    They said that none of above could be done by me!
    I asked customs if they would release the car, customs said that I could take the car whenever I wanted to!
    The company that transported the container delayed me so AA was closed when I finally got the car and I did drive it home and then I did take it to AA.
    (LHD car and everything went ok, you have to had owned the car in the country you lived in for a certain time and not to sell within 2 years, rules change from year to year)

was heaps worse for friends that brought their UK RHD and never allowed to use it here!

I seem to have had a rather good experience compared so some people. From the archives:

I brought my Jaguar XJR with me from the UK. Before I left the UK I had corresponded with the AA in NZ. The Ford agent in NZ (they own Jaguar) wanted $956.25 to simply issue a statement of compliance.

I gave the AA the details of the EU compliance plate under the bonnet and they confirmed that would be sufficient to meet NZ compliance. If your car is less than five years old it should do too. I think people are wasting hundreds of pounds trying to get a statement of compliance from manufacturers when it doesn't appear to be needed.

I mentioned my communication with the AA to the guy at the place that tested my car and he just said he hadn't seen a Jag yet that didn't comply so he didn't seem too bothered about a statement. All I had to give him was a copy of my passport and my V5.

You will also need to make sure that the car meets NZ frontal impact regulations. Mine car was specifically mentioned on the LTSA website so that was another box ticked at no cost.

On the day the container was opened here in ChCh I arrived at the shipping agent at 8.30 in the morning. I drove the car out of the container at 8.45 and by 9am MAF had given it a clean bill of health. The car was so clean the MAF guy actually asked if it was brand new.

To prepare it I simply spent a morning the weekend before the car was taken away giving it a thorough clean. First I hoovered thoroughly inside the car, under the seats and in the boot (including under the spare wheel).

Then I took each wheel off and got out all of the mud from around the wheel arch. I then sprayed under the car to clean that then cleaned all obvious surfaces under the bonnet with a damp cloth. Finally a quick wash and polish (including door shuts) and it was ready. The car then stayed in my garage for 4 or 5 days to dry out before being put in to the container.

Once MAF had passed the car I was then free to get it taken away to be certified. I phoned the AA and they said that there was a 3-4 week wait for compliance/registration etc. They helpfully gave me the number of another place though just down the road from them. They were able to fit me in the same day so they picked it up from the shipping agent 'after morning tea'and drove it on trade plates to their garage for no charge .

The only thing that needed sorting was a small chip in the windscreen. They must be more picky over here as the chip wouldn't have affected an MOT. Anyway the certifier arranged for it to be repaired for $55.

Once the car passed certification (should take about 2 days) I popped in to pick up a registration form then drove 1 mile down the road back to the AA where it took 10 minutes to arrange registration. I was then free to drive the car in NZ.

The main costs were £306 for shipping insurance whilst in the container, $160 for MAF inspection, $568.13 for compliance and $370.68 for registration. We had too much stuff for a 20 foot container so had a 40 foot highcube. That meant that there was room for the car so it didn't really cost a lot extra to ship it.

One niggle I did have is that the number plates are physically smaller in NZ so I looked at getting a larger one as the number plate surround on the car was sized for a UK one. There appears to be a Government agency in NZ that has the sole rights to make number plates and upgrading to a 'European' style plate would have cost $279 instead of £21 from Halfords. Since I wanted to change the plate I thought I might as well buy a personal plate too to help justify the cost. See www.plates.co.nz for choices.

BTW, if anyone needs to get a car certified in Christchurch I can recommend Michael Fiddymont Ltd, 383 Brougham Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Björnsdotter View Post
    (LHD car and everything went ok, you have to had owned the car in the country you lived in for a certain time and not to sell within 2 years, rules change from year to year)
    Yes, it is five years now that you can't sell it for. But after all this, I don't really intend to sell it

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I brought my Jaguar XJR with me from the UK. Before I left the UK I had corresponded with the AA in NZ. The Ford agent in NZ (they own Jaguar) wanted $956.25 to simply issue a statement of compliance.

I gave the AA the details of the EU compliance plate under the bonnet and they confirmed that would be sufficient to meet NZ compliance. If your car is less than five years old it should do too. I think people are wasting hundreds of pounds trying to get a statement of compliance from manufacturers when it doesn't appear to be needed.
    Yes, there seems to be great misunderstanding when you need one and when you don't. In the landtransport factsheets, they give examples of when you don't need one, and they have example EU compliance plates that you have to look for. If you have them, you're fine. We didn't, so had to get the compliance.

Unfortunately, a lot of people along the way have no idea about the details of the process, and will ask for the SOC straight away, as if it is a necessary requirement.

So do be careful, it does pay do read up on all this.

I don't think the process is unduly difficult or complicated. It is a lot of paperwork, and we lost some time because we didn't know our way round Customs and MAF, but if I had to do that again (I won't!), I don't think the paperwork would scare me off.

I think the main thing I hadn't considered was that you can't drive the car here, so hadn't figured the cost and organisation required to have the car towed all over.

Oh, and the number plate thing bothered me as well. The AA guy (very nice and helpful) just ended up ripping the holding thing of the UK plates of and screwing the NZ plates straight onto the bumper, which I am not entirely happy with, but hey, I'm glad I have a car

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Yes, it is five years now that you can't sell it for. But after all this, I don't really intend to sell it

Daniela
    Same here, if I wanted to sell my car I should have done it 6-7 years ago when I left for NZ.
    Have had it for so many years so it is a part of me

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I think the main thing I hadn't considered was that you can't drive the car here, so hadn't figured the cost and organisation required to have the car towed all over.
    That is where I was lucky because the certifier was happy to drive my car from the container to their workshop using trade plates. It then didn't leave again until it was certified and registered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast