Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby formula

Default Baby formula

My sister is coming over to visit in 6 weeks time (hurray!) and has asked me if Farleys or SMA formula are available here. I have had a look in our local chemist and couldn't see those brands, but wondered if they are sold anywhere else, either online or in Auckland? Or are other brands the same as those?

Thanks,

Jo Jo

Can't help with Farley's Formula but you should be able to purchase SMA in
    either a pharmacy or supermarket.
    My son was on SMA Formula, mind you that was a few years ago now.

Hope this helps,

Suzanne.

I have a feeling I have seen SMA somewhere... will try and keep an eye out next time I am in baby aisle, the main brands here are Karicare, Heinz Nurture, and SC26.

If I were her I would bring enough to last me for the visit, or if she is going to be here a while, look at the above brands and see which is the nearest in terms of ingredients and wean baby onto that for a couple of weeks or so.

Just had a bit of a google.... SMA is made by the same people that make SC26 (Wyeth) so that might be the best alternative formula.

Edited... you can get the starter formula from Foodtown online http://www.foodtown.co.nz/HomeShoppi...t=BrowseAisles but that only helps if her baby is under 6 months!

Super, thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    If I were her I would bring enough to last me for the visit, or if she is going to be here a while, look at the above brands and see which is the nearest in terms of ingredients and wean baby onto that for a couple of weeks or so.
    Yes, she's thinking about doing that, but I thought I'd see if the same was available here. I'll send her the details of the brands you've mentioned, though - I don't think he's a particularly fussy baby so if she can save the space of 3 tins of formula for something else that would be super. I'm thinking of asking her to bring things for me instead.... Oooh, maybe I'll just tell her it's available here so she has extra space for my stuff then act all surprised when we can't find it. *evil grin*

Oooh, three tins of formula do take up a bit of space,. I wonder how much choc she could squeeze into that space if it were empty???

We have a friend who should be visiting sometime soon with a baby and a toddler. Haven't got a clue about formula myself. What equipment should we have in the house to make some up? How much is a tin & how long does it last?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Oooh, maybe I'll just tell her it's available here so she has extra space for my stuff then act all surprised when we can't find it. *evil grin*
    I don't think you have any choice - this is what any reasonable person would do! As Jub jub says, 3 tins sure would equal a lot of chocolate!

If she does try out the NZ ones it might be worth checking out the ones that do single sachets also, as these will be good for the flight back.

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    We have a friend who should be visiting sometime soon with a baby and a toddler. Haven't got a clue about formula myself. What equipment should we have in the house to make some up? How much is a tin & how long does it last?
    It depends on the age of the child - under a certain age the bottles need to be sterilised, but over a certain age they can just be put in the dishwasher... sadly I can't remember the age. But that's all you need - bottles, and maybe a steriliser. The tins of formula come with their own scoops, usually.

I don't know how long a tin of formula lasts, either, I'm afraid. My nephew will be 9 months old when they come here, and my sister reckons she needs three tins for three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    I don't think you have any choice - this is what any reasonable person would do! As Jub jub says, 3 tins sure would equal a lot of chocolate!

If she does try out the NZ ones it might be worth checking out the ones that do single sachets also, as these will be good for the flight back.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks for the tip re sachets - I'll look out for those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast