Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - bring a plate?

Default Help please - bring a plate?

I need some advice ladies on what to provide food-wise when asked to bring a plate. The girl issuing the invite said finger food. I presume we take enough to feed ourselves and then it is put with the rest of the food and everybody helps themselves - or do we just feed ourselves?

And do we literally take a plate or put food in plastic boxes - may sound like stupid questions but I don't want to commit any social sins. :mrgreen:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i read somewhere (i think it was nz insider) that bring a plate means potluck, so you bring food that can feed about 3-4 or more people besides yourselves.

or so i remember

enjoy!

annie

you just take a plate or container of food, whatever you think best and as much as you feel fair. its not normally an exact science. have they indicated whether it is a savoury or desert plate they want you to take. If they haven't just ring them and ask what they would prefer you to bring.

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

You take a plate with enough to give about 6-10 people a 'taste' of what you've brought - that's how it worked in my day, at least. A plate could be, but not limited to, the following:

Biscuits - homemade, preferrably
    A cake - homemade, or bought
    Savouries - sausage rolls, small pies, etc

However, it depends on the occassion really, as well as the time of day. Is it casual, formal, a party, or something else?

What sort of people will be attending? Will children be there?

These things all need to be taken into consideration when deciding what to take.

Bring a plate ....... I love this, it always makes me smile.

PB's Mum is often telling me how she went to some 'do' at the bowls club and how it was ....'ladies a plate please'.

Just reminds me of Miss Marple.

Diny

I discovered an absolutley gorgeous recipe at a 'bring a plate do' in NZ takes 10 minutes to prepare.

1 Large tin refried Mexican beans
    1 Jar of Salsa
    1 tub of Sour cream
    about 4oz of grated cheese

1 dish 5-7" in diameter and 5-7" in depth

Put the refried beans in first, then the Salsa, then spoon on the Sour Cream sprinkle the cheese on so you hvae 4 layers, whack in the oven on 160 for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted nicely.

Use Doritos to dip......................Yummy.

JO

Hey Jo

I've got the refried beans sounds mouthwatering

It's an evening do 7:30 next Saturday, I have to take finger food.

OK Diny - never mind about Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot - what do I take :eek

Thanks BK - maybe I'll take some of my famous pasties - my pasties are the talk of the bachelors in Saudi Arabia :P and it's casual - some Poms some Kiwis

[quote="Dave & Sandra"] ...my pasties are the talk of the bachelors in Saudi Arabia /quote]

Sandra, you sure Dave doesn't mind you openly talking about your pasties :eek

John

Have pasties taken on some new kind of meaning that I've missed out on ops:

Sweet or savoury?

Why not make some smoked salmon and cream cheese wraps and then cut them into 'delicate' slices, they always go down a treat.

Sweet stuff .... cakes, slices ... anything really. If it's a casual do then just take 'casual' food. I reckon you should take your pasties. You can bet nobody else will be taking them.

Diny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast