Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Hard drive and films/CDs

Default Portable Hard drive and films/CDs

Hi folks
    trying to save a bit of space, I've ripped a load of our DVDs and CDs onto a portable hard drive and was wondering whether there will be any issue with this when we pass through immigration or customs ?

will they want to know whats on it ? films, mp3, dvds, photos, documents - basically a clearing out of both our PCs here ...

Ooo.. Ihadn't thought f that! That's what we were planning to do but hadn't considered customs. I'll watch for replies with interest

i took a load of stuff through on my laptop and a portable drive in my laptop bag, no questions asked.

yeah its more of a precaution really - i mean if it came to it, i couldnt prove i owned all the stuff on it without the originals

there are plenty of file/folder hiding and security applications out there for free, so even if they did plug it in they cant see it

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf Junior View Post
    there are plenty of file/folder hiding and security applications out there for free, so even if they did plug it in they cant see it
    thanks MoorfJnr. why would they even be bothered - i think its only people who have hundreds of disks and stuff that they might try to sell or something - i mea i nly have about 20 films and a couple of hundred songs ...

Does 12000 songs count as a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingPaddies View Post
    Hi folks
    trying to save a bit of space, I've ripped a load of our DVDs and CDs onto a portable hard drive and was wondering whether there will be any issue with this when we pass through immigration or customs ?

will they want to know whats on it ? films, mp3, dvds, photos, documents - basically a clearing out of both our PCs here ...
    I've never had a problem when i first passed customs 2 years ago...with my rxternal hard drive in carry on and 3 CD wallets I think they are more interested in finding out if you've been camping or are carrying forbidden items like fruit or wood.

When I went back to Europe a couple of months ago, I brought a couple of CD wallets with movie backups with me and still no problems

OOOOOOoh can I ask a question... might be silly but I'm a complete idiot regarding technical stuff...

whats the best way to store all my PC info when we come over to NZ? (email contacts, filed emails, some documents and music but mostly hundreds and hundreds of digital photos) We'll be without the PC for several months but do have a laptop and may well buy a new PC in NZ - don't really know yet. Do I put it all on hard drive and if so how and what's best size or kind to go for?

thank you - been meaning to ask this for a while

y, get an external USB2 hard drive, cost about 65 for a 500Gb drive, which is plenty for photos and music etc. To give you an idea, thats enough for about 150,000 photos, or 130,000 music tracks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast