I wonder if anyone can give some advice or has had experiences with problems in cancelling a UK phone contract. I will not give the company name in case of any legal problems.
My Daughter has now arrived on NZ soil and is a student here for the next 4 years.
She took a mobile phone contract in Jan 07 knowing that she would be coming here a year later so the contract would expire.
The problem is, her phone broke down on the 2nd Dec and this is now the 4th time this has happened. She rang up to report it and they told her that it would have to be replaced as it was costing too much to keep repairing it.
They sent her a new phone. At the beginning of Jan08 she rang up to cancel her contract to be told that she could not cancel it as when she got the new phone she was liable for another 12 month contract.She explained to them that she was emmigrating and that she was given a replacement as her phone was still under guarantee but they would not back down and insist she owes for another 12 months.
Surely legaly, if a phone is faulty within the 12 month guarantee period then it must be repaired or replaced without any extra clauses like extending the contract for 12 months.
They are now saying that when she received the phone she was sent covering documentation and in that it said she was liable for another 12 months contract.
We have cancelled her direct debit but the problem is now she will probably be black listed so she will have problems getting any credit etc.
They have now said if she pays for the phone they will cancel her account.
Surely this is not right.
Any help will be appreciated

Caroline and Dave