Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queenstown -Can I survive?

Default Queenstown -Can I survive?

I've been offered a job in Queenstown at 60-65k (no formal contract yet) Is this enough money to live comfortably? I'm not really a high maintenance person. I've heard that Queenstown is one of the best towns in NZ and I'm really excited about this oppurtunity. I just don't want to move over there and then have to return home b/c I can't afford it.

First off, welcome to the forum. Are you coming over by yourself or with family? How old are you? Queenstown can be a very expensive place to live, but its a pretty cool town. Very tourist orientated..
    Personally, I think with that wage you would be ok, as a single person which is the vibe Im getting..
    A quick search on www.trademe.co.nz (nz's ebay..but simpler) for flatmates wanted (on the assumption you are wanting to flat) shows rooms in a shared flat at around $120 dollars a week. A place by yourself/with family is a good bit more it would seem.
    If you could give more info about what kind of lifestyle you lead where you are right now (do you like to eat out? Out every weekend at the pub?) we can help you out more...

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum. Are you coming over by yourself or with family? How old are you? Queenstown can be a very expensive place to live, but its a pretty cool town. Very tourist orientated..
    Personally, I think with that wage you would be ok, as a single person which is the vibe Im getting..
    A quick search on www.trademe.co.nz (nz's ebay..but simpler) for flatmates wanted (on the assumption you are wanting to flat) shows rooms in a shared flat at around $120 dollars a week. A place by yourself/with family is a good bit more it would seem.
    If you could give more info about what kind of lifestyle you lead where you are right now (do you like to eat out? Out every weekend at the pub?) we can help you out more...
    Thanks for the response.

I'm a single 28yr old male, who is relatively active. I have no children, though I do own a small dog.

I like to workout so I'd definitely be joining a local gym. I usually only drink once or twice a week. I'm sure I'll be going out more in Queenstown to try and meet friends and fit in with the community. My alcohol tastes are rather modest, I prefer a good quality beer over fine wine or mixed drinks.

I cook often and will only go out to eat about once a week for dinner. I usually eat out 5 days a week for lunch.

For hobbies I'll be snowboarding, biking, hiking, kite boarding (eventually) and watching American football via the internet and a slingbox Sept - Dec.

I'm very laid back and rarely buy clothes, though I live in a very hot environment now and will need to buy cold weather clothing.

I have some student debt from the States and are required to pay $120 monthly (US dollars) for student loans.

I'll also need to finance an automobile eventually as well.

Like most Americans, I love movies and will be frequenting the theaters (once a week?)

Like I said, I haven't signed a contract and have the opportunity to do some negotiating.
    Last edited by TheDude; 18th January 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Dude - you sound perfectly matched with Queenstown!!

That's a pretty good wage for the lifestyle you'll be looking for, as long as you don't want to holiday abroad once a year and don't go OTT on the car and accommodation. I think you'd like it there given your outdoorsy hobbies and being single I bet it's a right laugh as nightlife seems busy during peak seasons (oohhh I wish I was 10 yrs younger... you should have SEEN the talent in Wanaka *sigh*)

HTH
    Moorf

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Thanks for the response.

I'm a single 28yr old male, who is relatively active. I have no children, though I do own a small dog.

I like to workout so I'd definitely be joining a local gym. I usually only drink once or twice a week. I'm sure I'll be going out more in Queenstown to try and meet friends and fit in with the community. My alcohol tastes are rather modest, I prefer a good quality beer over fine wine or mixed drinks.

I cook often and will only go out to eat about once a week for dinner. I usually eat out 5 days a week for lunch.

For hobbies I'll be snowboarding, biking, hiking, kite boarding (eventually) and watching American football via the internet and a slingbox Sept - Dec.

I'm very laid back and rarely buy clothes, though I live in a very hot environment now and will need to buy cold weather clothing.

I have some student debt from the States and are required to pay $120 monthly (US dollars) for student loans.

I'll also need to finance an automobile eventually as well.

Like most Americans, I love movies and will be frequenting the theaters (once a week?)

Like I said, I haven't signed a contract and have the opportunity to do some negotiating.
    I'd say you will be fine. There are some things that do cost a lot here (internet ) and the cinema can be costly too. Car insurance is relatively cheap. You are well placed to enjoy a lot of the outdoor activities you enjoy and you really will be living in a very beautiful part of the country! There are people from all over the world living there which is pretty cool too. The Dux de Lux (sister pub to the original in Christchurch www.thedux.co.nz) has a micro brewery as you say you're into your beers. Steinlager Pure is supposed to be nice (but I wouldnt go near the original Steinlager, blech!).

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Dude - you sound perfectly matched with Queenstown!!

That's a pretty good wage for the lifestyle you'll be looking for, as long as you don't want to holiday abroad once a year and don't go OTT on the car and accommodation. I think you'd like it there given your outdoorsy hobbies and being single I bet it's a right laugh as nightlife seems busy during peak seasons (oohhh I wish I was 10 yrs younger... you should have SEEN the talent in Wanaka *sigh*)

HTH
    Moorf
    I noticed how expensive the internet and cellular phone service is and was completely shocked! I noticed that all the ISP's have caps on download useage?! What's that all about

Here in the states I pay about $70 a month for 1500 minutes, 400 text and unlimited cellular data (128kbps). For high speed net I pay $50 a month for unlimited download/upload at 6mbps.

I'm an American sports junkie. I am addicted to college football and the NFL. I assume I'm going to have to stream most of this off the internet and will need at least 30-40 gigs a month. Am I looking at over 100nz a month for internet?

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post
    I'd say you will be fine. There are some things that do cost a lot here (internet ) and the cinema can be costly too. Car insurance is relatively cheap. You are well placed to enjoy a lot of the outdoor activities you enjoy and you really will be living in a very beautiful part of the country! There are people from all over the world living there which is pretty cool too. The Dux de Lux (sister pub to the original in Christchurch www.thedux.co.nz) has a micro brewery as you say you're into your beers. Steinlager Pure is supposed to be nice (but I wouldnt go near the original Steinlager, blech!).
    What kind of beer do kiwi's like? I prefer stouts and lagers. My future employer seems to love wheat beers. Is this common in New Zealand? I can't stand wheat beers

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    What kind of beer do kiwi's like? I prefer stouts and lagers. My future employer seems to love wheat beers. Is this common in New Zealand? I can't stand wheat beers
    Wheat? what ever - I just buy the stuff for the OH

but check out our local brewery http://www.invercargillbrewery.co.nz/

they do taste nice - if I say so myself - but I usually stick to wine!

Kat

Hey Dude!

I pay $59 for 10 gig and it's just not enough. 30 gig is $100 pm and 50 gig is $150pm. This is with Telecom and I'm sure there must be cheaper out there but I'm signed up with them for a year and haven't looked into other companies yet. Horribly expensive but if your a net junkie the costs are a necessity.

We have gone with xnet, and I would think you can get them anywhere broadband in available.

http://www.wxc.co.nz/

We pay a $39 basic service fee, then $1 per gig after that, its very fast! Knocks telecom into a cocked hat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast