Thread: Child Care Social Work in NZ- Any experiences?

Smile Child Care Social Work in NZ- Any experiences?

Hi,
    I'm a child care social worker in the UK, hoping to move out in September.
    ANyone got any experiences of working in care and protection in CYF? What are the salaries like? I know its a lot less than the Uk, but can you live on it? Any experiences of SW recruitment agencies?
    Thanks!

I am a child care social worker and have tried to apply to CYF on line for several posts so far. Havent been past the first stage as yet and not sure if i am not filling in application form wrong or if there are applicants with residency who they have to consider first. Have had a recruitment agency in touch with me but i havent signed up as yet they are NZ social Work Recruitment in Palmerston North.

Let me know if you have any luck as i was hoping to go over in Sept 08.

Bernie

Hi,
    I am signed up with that agency. They seem quite positive and say there are lots of jobs, but as I can't start until October 08 they are not putting me forward for positions yet. There is quite a lot of paperwork I have had to get together and get certified copies, such as university transcripts, police checks etc which has taken some time so bear that in mind. The agency seem quite efficient, they have taken up my references and done phone interviews with me. Will let you know how it goes.
    Good Luck, Eve
    PS Did you see the letter in last weeks Community Care saying that the writer only lasted 2 months in NZ child protection work after 30 years in the UK due fo low morale and pay and adult centred approach!

They have taken up references with my employers and also asked for lots of certified copies of documents. they also said i wouldnt be able to register with GSCC equivalent until i was in NZ and then they want information about all my social work student placements! They didn't say anything about not putting me forward for jobs as yet but i hoped that they would as my ITA has 130 points and I really hope to get PR and not work visa so thought a job offer would strengthen it.

Not good news with regard to Child protection work in NZ- missed that article in community.

keep me informed about you progress.

Bernie

ITA submitted 18th April 130 points no job offer

I used to be a social worker in the UK, but returned to my original career of speech and language therapy after 6 tough years. So when I emigrated here, it was as an SLT, not a social worker. However, as I work with pre-schoolers in quite a tough area, I do have dealings with CYFs from time to time. In my experience, the bar seems much higher here in terms of neglect - there are children on my caseload now who would definitely have been on the child protection register for neglect in the UK, but are not here. I refer much less here as my early referrals (which would have been valid in the UK) were not seen as valid here. Social workers seem to be just as over-worked here, maybe even more so.

I work with some children in foster care, and the standard of their care also seems much lower. The foster carers seem untrained, and do not appear to get any support from CYFs. Traumatised children do not appear to be receiving follow-up or counselling.

These are just my observations from the outside though - and I do work in a tough area, so it may be better in more affluent places. But I do know what to look for because of my past experience.

Hi,
    That's interesting, if a bit depressing.
    I have now got a job with CYF, so will have to see how it goes. I'm not expecting it to be any easier than in the Uk, but at least its a job!
    Thanks for experiences, Eve

Hi Eve, congratulations on the job. Whereabouts will you be based? I have a friend who works for CYF in Hamilton.

I agree with Sam B's comments in their entirety. I'm not a social worker but have lots of involvement with CYFs through work (I work in the disability sector). We have to vet all our support workers and carers and quite often CYF employ them and we don't. Having said that, there are some very good foster carers out there, you just have to look a little harder for them.

I think it's also true to say that CYF are extremely busy and social workers seem to have huge case loads to manage. Again, no direct experience, just heresay.

Hi Paula
    I'm going to be based in Christchurch.
    Thanks for your views - it sounds quite similar to the Uk - high caseloads etc but its a way to get out to NZ, so I will be giving it a go!
    Eve

Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    Hi Paula
    I'm going to be based in Christchurch.
    Thanks for your views - it sounds quite similar to the Uk - high caseloads etc but its a way to get out to NZ, so I will be giving it a go!
    Eve
    Hopefully the work/life balance will more than make it worth your while.