Thread: wages

Question wages

Hi all,
    Hoping some of you can give me some advise, hubby got a job in wellington and wages will be $67 thou per year. i need to get a job once we are out there. but are we be able to cope with his wages and a small mortgage as i'm having a wobble about being able to cope. and advise will be lovely
    thanks guys
    ninny

HI,

If you do a search on Avalon money thread, there was a really usefull comprehensive list of all of outgoings and comparisons etc, there have also been quite a few posts where someone has queried whether or not they can manage, If you Google "woolworths NZ" it is a on line grocery shop and that can help you get a feel for the cost of food stuffs.

sorry that I can't be more help.

hels

Hi there, dont want to be too nosey but how small a mortgage where you considering. Only asking as this is exactly the same boat we are in and it might be interesting to compare figures. Only to make sure all the bases have been covered and there are no sudden surprises when we get out there.

Congrats on the job as well.

Kind regards

Woolfie

Default wages and costs

Quote Originally Posted by Woolfie View Post
    Hi there, dont want to be too nosey but how small a mortgage where you considering. Only asking as this is exactly the same boat we are in and it might be interesting to compare figures. Only to make sure all the bases have been covered and there are no sudden surprises when we get out there.

Congrats on the job as well.

Kind regards

Woolfie
    Hi woolfie,

well after the sale of our house fingers crossed we are looking at $100k max, have been looking at houses and seam about right with what we will get from the sale of the house and having savings. hubby thinks i'm mad wanting £20k saving and when i think about it yer thats about $55k which is a bit mad but me just having a panic about money and having enough to live on and having
    saving incase anything happens. am starting to do my homework on monthly income and monthly out going. soooooooooooooo much to think about and stress about. how u getting on with everything

be happy

ninny x x

Quote Originally Posted by pinkninny View Post
    Hi woolfie,

well after the sale of our house fingers crossed we are looking at $100k max, have been looking at houses and seam about right with what we will get from the sale of the house and having savings. hubby thinks i'm mad wanting £20k saving and when i think about it yer thats about $55k which is a bit mad but me just having a panic about money and having enough to live on and having
    saving incase anything happens. am starting to do my homework on monthly income and monthly out going. soooooooooooooo much to think about and stress about. how u getting on with everything

be happy

ninny x x
    So if I understand this correctly, you are expecting to get a NZ$100K mortgage and you also want to have NZ$55K in savings for emergencies?

If this is the case then have you considered an account such as Orbit offered by ASB where the effectively treat your mortgage as a large overdraft. So for example you would only effectively be paying interest on NZ$45K until you needed your savings.

You could also ask for a larger mortgage than you need e.g. NZ$150K and then you would have an additional NZ$50K for unforseen emergencies should you need them.

Not suitable for everyone, but can work out cheaper than a standard mortgage.

Ian

Default wages/shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Helsandfamily View Post
    HI,

If you do a search on Avalon money thread, there was a really usefull comprehensive list of all of outgoings and comparisons etc, there have also been quite a few posts where someone has queried whether or not they can manage, If you Google "woolworths NZ" it is a on line grocery shop and that can help you get a feel for the cost of food stuffs.

sorry that I can't be more help.

hels

thanks for the woolworths link i have just sat and done a weeks shop and it was good to see prices and what my bill would be, not as bad as i think just have to get what we really need and plan our meals well. now i have done this i've been sad and copied and saved to my NZ file so i have ref when needed. this has helped with my stress level and now they are little better so once again thanks for the link.

cheers ninny x x