Thread: Electrical Transformers (? for Americans in NZ)

Default Electrical Transformers (? for Americans in NZ)

Hi,

We are getting ready for our move. How many electrical transformers did people buy, where did they get them from (in the USA) and any recs on brands?

As far as I can tell, we will need a transformer (regulator as well?) for the laser printer.

Then a one or two for the kitchen mixer, toaster oven.

Then one for our cordless phone system - which per threads here, should work in NZ with an adapter?

Most of the rest of the electronics we feel compelled to bring take dual voltage.

Is there anything else that people wish they had brought?

Thanks,

Chris

I got the transformers for small things at London Drugs, only about $9 each, you also need the plug adaptors, (plugs are different here). for larger things that use more power you need to buy more expensive transformers which you might have to get at electrical stores.

I notice the phone jacks are different here so you would need some kind of adaptor.

Chris, you will probably find all the answers you'll ever need (and more!) at http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....mer+watts+volt.

Default Looking for updated info and brand specifics

Wahlet, I had read that thread, but I really appreciate the note.

I was looking for a recommendation of particular brands (the original rec is from 2005 as well and I wondered if things had changed or people had more recent experience).

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,
    We haven't moved yet, so I couldn't tell you for sure, but in my research Gandhi Appliances (http://www.gandhiappliances.com/) seems like a great resource and possibly the best prices on large transformers and dual voltage electronics, and http://www.world-import.com/all-transformers.htm also seems like a great choice. We will be bringing our Dyson vacuum, Vitamix blender, food dehydrator, water distiller, which are all around 1100-1300 W, and the salesman at one place recommended going for at least a 3000W, preferably 4000W, model. I'm debating whether to go for the cheapest, step down transformer, or for the more costly step up/down model with voltage regulator since I've heard reports about fairly frequent voltage spikes and surges in NZ power supply. We are probably going to buy one big 4000W box to leave in the kitchen, and 3, 50-200 W small units to operate other things in other rooms.

Regards,
    David