Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter clothes?

Default Winter clothes?

I live in a hot/humid climate and I own maybe 3 sweaters and a couple jackets, that is all in regards to winter clothing. My question is, should I buy these garments before arriving to NZ? I know shoes are much more expensive in NZ but what about winter clothing? Thanks guys.

hi Dude

Are you going to ship a container? If so, it might pay off for you to buy winter clothes in the U.S. and then use them for extra packing/cushioning/space filler in the container.

When are you going to NZ? Since winter clothes will be on sale pretty soon in the U.S., you could scoop some great bargains on good-quality stuff which can be very hard to find in NZ at reasonable prices. Lesser-quality goods are often expensive too, which can be frustrating when you've first arrived and are trying to get things set up.

Are you thinking about doing winter sports in NZ or do you expect to need fairly nice "business casual" clothes during the cold season? If yes to either, and if you're bringing a container, I'd suggest buying a good supply of winter sport stuff (microfleece pullovers, waterproof jackets, running tights, snowboard pants & gloves, etc.) and enough casual blazers, khaki pants, long-sleeve shirts and sweaters of the kind you'd wear to work, if you need to dress that way. So easy to get this stuff in the U.S. for a pittance compared to the price levels in NZ . . .

hth,
    Sarah

If you are coming to the South Island, where it can be pretty cold in winter, I would suggest investing in some good woolly jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahEDH View Post
    hi Dude

Are you going to ship a container? If so, it might pay off for you to buy winter clothes in the U.S. and then use them for extra packing/cushioning/space filler in the container.

When are you going to NZ? Since winter clothes will be on sale pretty soon in the U.S., you could scoop some great bargains on good-quality stuff which can be very hard to find in NZ at reasonable prices. Lesser-quality goods are often expensive too, which can be frustrating when you've first arrived and are trying to get things set up.

Are you thinking about doing winter sports in NZ or do you expect to need fairly nice "business casual" clothes during the cold season? If yes to either, and if you're bringing a container, I'd suggest buying a good supply of winter sport stuff (microfleece pullovers, waterproof jackets, running tights, snowboard pants & gloves, etc.) and enough casual blazers, khaki pants, long-sleeve shirts and sweaters of the kind you'd wear to work, if you need to dress that way. So easy to get this stuff in the U.S. for a pittance compared to the price levels in NZ . . .

hth,
    Sarah
    Luckily, my employer is very casual and laid back and often wears slippers to work. I'll have the benefit of wearing casual weekend clothing on weekdays!

My plan is to arrive on June 1st to NZ. I won't be bringing a container as I'm in the process of selling most of my possessions. I plan on just moving with all my clothing, an external hard drive, cell phone (my phone is in the process of being SIM unlocked so I can use it with any GSM carrier) and a little bit of paperwork.

I will definitely want to do some winter sports, though I'm a complete novice to such activities. I've never lived anywhere with an abudance of snow.

Actually, I just saw snow this past weekend for the first time in about 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenandjulie View Post
    If you are coming to the South Island, where it can be pretty cold in winter, I would suggest investing in some good woolly jumpers.
    I'll be living in Queenstown. What are wooly jumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I'll be living in Queenstown. What are wooly jumpers?
    They are thick sweaters........

Something else to think about when you are buying your thick sweaters....is how you are going to wash them. As some of the housing here in NZ can be rather cold and maybe damp compared to UK or USA where we have central heating.....bear in mind that you won't have radiators to bung your sweaters on to dry. If you buy things that can't be tumble-dried, you could find it takes ages to get heavy items completely dry in winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Something else to think about when you are buying your thick sweaters....is how you are going to wash them. As some of the housing here in NZ can be rather cold and maybe damp compared to UK or USA where we have central heating.....bear in mind that you won't have radiators to bung your sweaters on to dry. If you buy things that can't be tumble-dried, you could find it takes ages to get heavy items completely dry in winter!
    I can't stand the feel of wool so I'm probably going to stick with cotton. Thanks for the advice!

The only radiator I've ever had was in my truck

This whole "winter" concept is going to be completely new to me.

Wooly jumpers are sheep, eveyone knows that!!

I think it depends on where you come from (??? doesn't say in your profile???) and where you are going to live, the south island can be a bit cold in winter so maybe you should check out the nz clothing manufacuters sites for a bit of an idea (macpac, kathmandhu, swazi etc) or some of our south island members may be able to give you a better idea...

Is not just the South Island that gets cold in winter. Inland North Island, Wellington can all get pretty chilly.
    Really the only places that are "mostly immune" to true cold weather and/or wind are the West Coast of the South Island, Northland and the Bay of Plenty. Everywhere else is at least somewhat vulnerable to frost and/or cold southerlies.
    I know you say you don't like wool, but really cotton is pretty rubbish in the NZ climate. If it gets wet (and it probably will) then you get cold, simple as that. Whereas wool will keep you warm even if its wet. It might be worth checking out some merino wool over here, it feels quite different to conventional wool, no itchiness. And Possum/merino blends are another option, but expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast