Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ Vs US Electronics

Default NZ Vs US Electronics

Hi All :cool

Sorry I’ve been away for so long. We’ve been moving (or “shifting house” as they like to say here) from Rotorua to the home we purchased in Tauranga plus getting a lot of work done, etc. But we’re still alive and well. Missed you guys!

I thought I’d jump back in by updating the article I wrote last year regarding NZ vs. US electronics. Now that we (finally) have some first-hand knowledge, I’ll do my best to be a little more specific and helpful. This probably belongs on the "Making the Move" topic, but thought I'd drop it in here for those that missed it before and hopefully Karl or JCM will move it later. (Thanks guys.) So here goes…

New Zealand Vs U.S. Electricity

First the basics: U.S. electricity is 110 – 120 volts alternating current (A.C.), 60 Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second. The U.S. also has 220 volts dual phase current (used for electric clothes dryers and commercial equipment). New Zealand operates on 220 – 240 volts A.C., 50Hz. U.S. equipment that requires 220 volts will not work in NZ, sorry. The reason is a bit technical (US dual phase 220 Vs NZ single phase 220) but the simple explanation is that US 220V is not the same as NZ 220V. The good news is most U.S. electronics that run on 110 – 120 volts 60 Hz will work in New Zealand with a little help or a few changes! :mrgreen:

The difference in cycles per second or hertz (US = 60Hz, NZ = 50Hz) usually doesn't matter except in certain circumstances. U.S. 110V/60Hz clocks and items that use AC electricity to keep time won't be accurate on the NZ 50Hz system. U.S. 110V motors designed to run at 60Hz will run slightly slower and a bit hotter on 50Hz, but generally no harm done. :niceone:

Converters and Transformers

You can buy inexpensive (US$10 or so) converters for small appliances like telephones with answering machines (yes, they will work in NZ), or other low-voltage devices. They are usually adjustable for 120V or 240V and for various amps, 1 to 12. You can find them at stores like Target, Radio Shack or on line (see links below). To figure out what you need, simply look at the power cord which will usually have a small black box at the end where it plugs into the wall. It will list the voltage input and output. It might read something “AC in 110V, DC out – 12V 9A”. That means it converts 110 volts to 12 volts, 9 amps. When you buy a converter to replace this particular item it will need to be able to run on 220 volts and deliver 12 volts, 9 amps out. If you have the correct converter, whatever you’re using won’t know the difference in New Zealand. Most converters come with U.S. or European “shucko” plugs. You’ll need to buy an adapter (about US$6) to plug them into NZ outlets (or “mains” as they are called here).

Things that require more juice like stereos can be used with the aid of a voltage converter or better yet, a voltage transformer. (Transformers "regulate" voltage supplies providing better protection for your equipment!) Either will "step down" 240 volt New Zealand power to 110 volts.

To know what transformer to buy for each piece of equipment you have to know how many watts your equipment uses. This can usually be found on a sticker near where the power cord comes out of the appliance or in the owner’s manual (glad you kept it now?). If you can only find voltage (V) and amps (a) you can easily figure out the wattage by multiplying the two. For instance if a stereo listed 110 volts – 25 amps, it would be equal to 2,750 watts (110 x 25). In order to make it operate in NZ you would need a transformer that had an output of at least 2,750 watts. However, the rule of thumb is to double the watts needed. That will prolong the life of the transformer and allow for any spikes when the equipment is turned on. In the example above you should buy a transformer that can handle at least 5,000 watts. Don’t worry about the difference. A 5,000 watt transformer is only slightly more expensive than a 3,000. Plan on spending somewhere around US$75 to US$150 per transformer (plan well grasshopper).

Yes, you CAN use one transformer to run more than one item. You can plug at least two things into most transformers. Just make sure the wattage rating of the transformer is HIGHER (ideally doubled) than the total of everything plugged into it!

As with the smaller converters, the full-sized transformers will each need a plug adapter to be used in New Zealand.

Here are some sites that sell voltage converters, transformers and the like:

http://www.world-import.com

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/

http://www.starkelectronic.com/franzus.htm

You can purchase all of the voltage converters and transformers in NZ if you’d like, but they are about 25% more expensive than in the U.S. The other side of the coin is that larger transformers are heavy, some upwards of 50 pounds, yikes! So there may be a trade off on shipping costs. We bought them in the U.S. from World Import (great people plus discounts if you ask) and brought them here, but again, I never calculated the advantage if there was one either way.

Computers

More good news! Almost all computers (U.S., U.K., etc.) run on both 110V 60Hz as well as 220V 50Hz. Laptop power modules switch automatically and would only need a U.S. to NZ style plug adaptor. Most desktop computers have a switch inside the CPU (box). Check with the manufacturer about your particular model, flip the switch from 110V to 220V and you're in business. (If it's too scary to open up your PC, take it to a repair shop and they'll be happy to charge you for it...oh what the heck...be brave!)

Your computer monitor will work without a worry in New Zealand. Our Dell, IBM and Viewsonic are purring along just fine (both CRT and flat panel). All they needed was an outlet adapter. All of ours were designed to run on 120V 60Hz or 220V 50Hz. Most are, but even if not you can use a transformer to step down 220V to 120V.

Most computer printers also switch automatically (check the label on or near the power cord). You might want to stock up on ink though, it's fairly expensive here.

As an aside, you can get various forms of Internet access in NZ, but not all of the same things are available everywhere. Unfortunately no one is offering cable modem style Internet. Most populated areas have ADSL broadband available. Download speed is around 250 mbps and up is about 150 mbps. That pretty much eliminates streaming video, etc. You can get regular dial-up almost everywhere and there are some odd wi-fi offerings in the “big cities”, but it’s a “line-of-sight” concept and kind of sporadic. Costs are about on par with the U.S. There are major battles going on between Internet providers as well as within the government as to how to properly deliver services. By the looks of things it will be a patch-work mess for quite a while. The ADSL speed is okay, but I do miss my cable hook-up (brought our cable modem just in case!)

Televisions

Time to sell yours and find something new. We had a big wide-screen we had to part with , but we found a replacement here. They have most of the modern sets…they just cost a bit more is all. TV signals broadcast in the U.S. comply with NTSC (National Television System Committee). In NZ they are PAL B. You cannot use your U.S. TV in NZ unless you buy a signal converter.

This company sells some signal (NTSC to PAL/PAL to NTSC) converters as well as multi-system TV’s, etc.

http://www.world-import.com

You’ll probably want to skip the converter issues and simply buy a new television when you arrive. The NZ $ is going up against the Japanese Yen so the price of electronic equipment is coming down. Make sure you buy a 100 Hz model (now replacing the 50 Hz sets which had a bad “flicker” you had to put up with.) A plus is that PAL television pictures are better than NTSC – more lines of resolution. But some (including me) would say the minus is NZ TV programming…yuck! (It gives you a good excuse to go outside and have some fun anyway.)

If you think you’ll be moving back to the U.S. or anywhere else, you might want to consider buying a multi-system T.V. and shipping it though. A multi-system TV will accept and play PAL/ NTSC signals and can use 120V/220V power. You can get a nice 29 inch flat-screen multi-system TV for about US$550 now.

Kiwis often use a combination of signal reception including antennas, cable and/or satellite. SKY offers both cable and satellite service. We have SKY digital satellite and it’s fairly decent…if only they’d spend a few dollars on some good television shows (you can only watch so many episodes of the Simpsons, Who’s the Boss and National Geographic!) Here’s the SKY TV link:

http://www.skytv.co.nz/

VCR's

Sell or donate yours (if anyone will take it!). VCR’s sold in NZ are usually NTSC/PAL compatible. The DVD explosion hasn’t fully arrived yet, so VCR’s are still a bit expensive (about US$150 for a good one). You can bring all of your tapes with you (after all, what would the kids do if they couldn’t watch the one where Barney finds a new friend for the 116th time?). You’ll still have to find someone to program the clock though.

DVD’s

Your U.S. DVD’s will work in NZ! Best bet is to sell your DVD player though and buy new here (even the good ones are fairly cheap…about $US150, but they start around US$50).

To allow film makers to control distribution throughout the world DVD players are generally coded to play in the country where they are sold. There are six region codes; 1 through 6. U.S. DVD’s are coded “Region 1” New Zealand DVD’s are coded “Region 4”. However DVD players sold in New Zealand are generally “region free” so they will play your US DVD’s as well as anything from anywhere else.

If you really want to dig into some deep DVD information, here's a great site called "DVD Demystified"...

http://www.dvddemystified.com/

CD's

Your U.S. CD player will work fine in NZ with the proper transformer. CD's are not coded and all will play in all machines. (Pack a few extras in your suitcase, they are a little more expensive here and you won't want to be without your "tunes"!)

Lights

Floor and table lamps that use incandescent bulbs will work in NZ. You’ll simply need to buy US to NZ plug adapters and new light bulbs once you get here!

Refrigerators

Your U.S. fridge will work in NZ with the proper transformer. One BIG caveat however is that most homes in NZ are designed for much smaller refrigerators (and other appliances) than in the U.S. Side-by-sides are right out unless you’re buying or building a new home. We brought an almost new refrigerator with us and it now sits in our garage because the space for it in our kitchen is too small (narrow)…it works, but sadly we had to buy a new one here…and they are not cheap! So we wished we had sold ours to have some money to put towards a new one here, but you live and learn. We'll fill the one in the garage with Tui Beer and live happily ever after. (Insert the old beer drinking smiley faces here.)

Washers and Dryers

Sorry to say that U.S. washers and dryers will not work in New Zealand. U.S. washers use 60 Hz technology to keep time and their motors also require 60 Hz to run properly. The same goes for dryers except they need 220 dual phase 60 Hz electricity to work…so it’s time to part with them. Be prepared to pay more for less in NZ. As mentioned, all appliances are small here. When we first saw some front-load washers we thought they were toys! Most average about half the load size U.S. folks are used to. Clothes lines are still the norm here but clothes dryers are starting to catch on…again…small and expensive. A good washer and dryer will likely set you back about US$1500 – US$2500.

Telephones

Standard U.S. telephones will work in NZ! And good thing because phones here are fairly expensive. You will need to buy adapters as the phone plugs (mains...get used to it ) are slightly different here. Telephone adapters cost about US$6. Cordless phones, phones w/answering machines, etc. will also need one of the small voltage converters (US$10 or so). We don't have caller I.D. but they do offer it here. I can't be sure if your U.S. caller I.D. will work here though.

Your cell phone will not work here unless you have a SIM model (new to the U.S.). If you have a SIM phone, you will only need to buy a new SIM card. Telecom and Vodaphone offer mobile phone service in NZ.

TiVo

TiVo is not offered in NZ. However, a local band of TiVo die-hards have cobbled together their own emulator service based on a system developed in Australia (no TiVo there either). There are about 50 people using it now. TiVo’s run on both 110V and 220V so all you’d need is a plug adapter to run it but you’ll need to be adept at hacking because a new image will need to be put on the TiVo hard drive to record and playback PAL T.V. And mind you, it only works on Series 1 TiVo’s. (They’re still fooling around with Series 2 TiVo’s and will likely conquer it in the future.) I’m about to dig into my TiVo to see if I can get it up and running here. I’ll keep you posted.

NOTE: Customs requires that your imported items to have been used by you for at least 12 months prior to moving. Otherwise they will charge you import duty on all new items. Make sure you've removed tags, taken the shrink wrap off and put some fingerprints on things!

Here's a great NZ site selling all kinds of electronics and other items so you can get an idea of local pricing.

http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?

Hope that all helps. “Talk” to you soon!

Hi richsadams,

This is so goooooood. Thanks a lot mate . Very- very informative.
    You are the man . I guess its time to head to the fridge in the garage and pop open a Tui Beer. Drink one for me too. :mrgreen:

Hi, Rich!!

As always, a magnificent post!! We've missed you around here!!

We'll look forward to seeing more of you as you can spare the time -- so glad you're getting moved in and settled in your Tauranga property. Are pictures out of the question?

Based on your research and writings, sounds like my Cuisinart is going to work just fine. Good news, that! Puts my mind at ease. I have time at the moment to worry about these petty concerns, you see. Just waiting for the house to sell.. waiting, waiting, waiting.. people are so weird. I could write a book -- but I won't!!

Anyway, glad to hear all is going well!!

All the best, Rae

Default NZ vs US Electronics

Hi Rich,
    Boy we certainly have missed you, and thank so much for the update!
    I noticed in your section on lamps, will ALL U.S. lamps work with proper conversion? We have a couple of really nice ones we'd like to take, and my husband was thinking about 'gutting' them and putting in new innards....but maybe we won't have to?
    And I echo Rae (as usual!) do you have a website with pics yet?
    Don't stay away so long!
    :cool

Default Electronics

Hi Again

Great to hear from all and thanks for the kind words!

Hey, things like Cuisinarts are important because they bring you a slice (pun intended) of home...which we're finding is really comforting. Now that we've begun opening our boxes, lots of memories come flooding back. And for some strange reason there's an unusual warmth associated with your belongings once they show up. Even stranger was the reaction our cats had...they were intent on "helping" and took the time to sniff everything as we unpacked. Within a short period of time they were rubbing the furniture and chasing about the new house like their old selves.

I know you can use "regular" lamps with incandescent light bulbs with no problem (providing you buy the bulbs in NZ as U.S. bulbs would not work)...however I can't imagine others not working as well. They only issue would be finding lights that fit something special.

Sorry, no website with photos yet...although we have lots of photos to share! I started on it and then ended up building websites for some local businesses...so hopefully we'll have one soon!

I’ll check back again soon…in the meantime, good luck to everyone!

Hi, Rich,

We're just all delighted to hear everything is going so well. Thanks for validating my Cuisinart concerns.. I feel a little silly, but dagnabit, it's part of our lives!! As you say, it's a slice (har!) of home.

We've really missed you and will eagerly await further posts as you can make them!! Glad to hear the cats are settling and things are getting more or less normal. Gives us all hope!!

Can you believe that crazy SoCalGal, buying a house and everything?? <duck>

All the best to you, Rae

Default NZ vs US electronics

Hey my fellow Cal-gal (Rae!)
    yes, we are nuts, but thankfully the things I hold near and dear (fav lamps from a yard sale - Buddahs! - Scooby, etc.) can go! We're off to Home Depot now to see what other stuff we CAN take with us! Thanks Rich, and looking forward to us all hooking up for a cuisinart inspired fiesta soon!
    :cool

Default Electronics - Phones

Hi All :cool

I just added a bit to my novel about electronics (above) that I forgot regarding telephones...U.S. phones work here. Woo hoo!

SoCalGal...you bought a home here! Wow! Congrats! Wasn't it soooooo much easier than buying in the U.S.? Another plus for NZ!

Hi, Rich,

Great to know about the phones -- I'll keep ours, then! Thanks again for helping out so much -- all your information has been so great.

SoCal Gal, I'm giving you a tease because you've already accomplished what we're so hoping to before we go over -- I'm jealous, girl! It's definitely a plus when you know the house you're going over to. As you point out, you know exactly what you can take over and what you should leave behind! You never for a moment considered not taking Scooby, did you??

Scooby-Snackily yours, Rae

Default NZ vs. US Electronics

Hi Rae-n-Rich!
    Now I'm even more jazzed to buy - and tak over - one of those teddy bear phones used on "So Graham Norton" tell me that you've seen it!
    yes, buying a house there was easy, in fact, it was strange because we kind of kept saying, "That's it? That's it?" The four-pg contract (yes!) was actually readable!! And with your good tips, Rich, I can bring more! Rae! Stop getting rid of stuff immediately! We need to take our cool stuff to a new home! and .... did I mention the talking Scooby soap dispenser I just found ;-) :cool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast