Thread: Razor Blades! Ripped off (nearly)

Default Razor Blades! Ripped off (nearly)

So ok Gillette Fusion razor blades are not cheap anywhere (even back in ol Blighty).

But i needed some, had no reasons to head to Countdown this weekend, so when i was today passing a pharmacy in mall i thought i would grab them then. So i grabbed a pack of just 4 blades, i bought a new can of shaving foam too, and i had my card out and handed the pharmacist the goods, awaited to swipe, when she said "That will be $48 please"

On that i protested there must a mistake surely, she pointed out that the pack of 4 blades (yup just 4) was $37.90 !! I again said that cant be right, maybe somebody mistook them for packs of 8 maybe? She checked and insisted that was the correct price. When i politely declined my purchase pointing out that it would be a hell of a lot cheaper in Countdown, she insisted that the increased cost was due to them not buying in bulk like countdown can. Which i grant is very true, and i never expected them to be as cheap as in countdown, but i cant believe the difference in bulk buying would ever be that great, they must have a major price hike going on there somewhere or clearly ripping off people.

OH, and the price of said pack of 4 blades in countdown? $19.90
    So "Life" pharmacies i shame you with your price mark-up of a whooping...
    $18 !! on a simply pack of razor blades

Good on you for not buying them Lee. I have to say Paul moans like hell about the price of them here, but he has talked about growing a beard in NZ...

What? $20 buks for a pack of 4?? Holleeeeee.....you could buy a month's supply here for that. They have got to have some special metal in them down in NZ

Hmm you'd think so ah Stu! But alias they look like your average Gillette product. Hence i was not happy with the $38 price!

Well I never new razor blades were so expensive!

I notice they are £8 for 4 in the UK, so its probably not even worth getting someone to ship them over unless they see a particularly good deal.

They do seem to come up on Trade Me - might be worth keeping an eye out, there is a whole disposable razor section

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beau...4884-6107-.htm

(Not sure if Gillette Power are a suitable alternatives but this auction sold 10 packs of 4 for $71)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beau...-135843663.htm

Cheers

Tia

if they are 8 gbp then they would be around $19 here so countdown is around the UK price - me I wait till they are on special and stock up - I got my last for $11 - just waiting for the next special as he is nearly out!

oh and I nick em for me legs too - after he's used them for a bit of course!

I like to get my moneys worth

LOL

Kat

I see Movember making a return so a face near you soon then Lee...

I don't work for em, but don't tar all Life pharmacies with the same brush. Life, like Unichem and Amcal, is a name you pay to use, all the pharmacies are still independently owned and operated. The only corporate that's centrally owned if you like are Radius pharmacies

Two reasons they are one of the most shoplifted items, they're small and have a good resale value!