Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is In Season This Week!

Default What Is In Season This Week!

With all the recent threads on budgeting, grocery bills and seasonal buying, it occurred to me that recent arrivals may have no idea or basis for comparison prices yet, and thought this would be useful to any newbies to NZ or anyone soon to be on their way. The idea is to give some insight into what fruit/veg etc to look out for as they are curently in season and aprox prices. So I will start with last weeks till receipt....

Here are the items currently cheap in New World:

Bananas $1.99 kg
    Strawberries (fantastic quality) $3.99 kg
    Brocolli $1.29 for large floret
    Large Aubergine (eggplant) $2.99 each
    Red & yellow Capsicum (very cheap indeed) $1.39 kg

Moderate priced items:

Peaches & Red Plums $3.99 kg
    Braeburn Apples $4.20 kg

Anyone else care to add to this thread?

It might be worth printing a few out of season prices so people can see what a big difference it makes.

When we were new to NZ I bought some strawberries out of season, I can't remember the price now but I know I nearly fell over backwards when it came up on the till. Even the till lady commented and asked if I still wanted them!

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    It might be worth printing a few out of season prices so people can see what a big difference it makes.

When we were new to NZ I bought some strawberries out of season, I can't remember the price now but I know I nearly fell over backwards when it came up on the till. Even the till lady commented and asked if I still wanted them!

Cheers

Tia
    Good idea Tia....

Here are the items from my shopping list again, with some approximate out of season prices alongside....

Bananas $1.99 kg (out of season up to about $6.99 kg)
    Strawberries (fantastic quality) $3.99 kg
    Brocolli $1.29 for large floret (out of season up to $3 per small floret)
    Large Aubergine (eggplant) $2.99 each (out of season up to about $8 each....i've even seem the hit $9 each one week in Foodtown, Auckland CBD )
    Red & yellow Capsicum (very cheap indeed) $1.39 kg (out of season up to about $8 per kg)

Moderate priced items:

Peaches & Red Plums $3.99 kg
    Braeburn Apples $4.20 kg (in season more like $2.60 per kilo)

You guy's must have read my mind, as I was thinking of posting a similar thread myself - Gonna make it my mission to check for seasonally good food stuffs and report back with prices and stores (I have some time on my hands - can you tell?)

Thanks

This link may also be useful to see what is seasonal.

Seasonal Fruit & Vegetables (PDF)

Doesn't show the best time to buy them though? Also does have a few items missing.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Good idea Tia....

Strawberries (fantastic quality) $3.99 kg)
    in all the supermarkets around here strawbs are that price for a 385gm punnet, even roadside sell at 5 punnets for $10 at about 320gm so if your price is right, what time do they close?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan999 View Post
    in all the supermarkets around here strawbs are that price for a 385gm punnet, even roadside sell at 5 punnets for $10 at about 320gm so if your price is right, what time do they close?

Alan
    Strawberries were from New World at the new Westfield in Albany...price correct as of Sunday morning shop! Not only were they cheap.....but they were fantastic quality. I've just dug the packet from the bin for a closer look ( ) and they were grown on farm in Massey, Waitakere...so very locally grown

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Strawberries were from New World at the new Westfield in Albany...price correct as of Sunday morning shop! Not only were they cheap.....but they were fantastic quality. I've just dug the packet from the bin for a closer look ( ) and they were grown on farm in Massey, Waitakere...so very locally grown
    what a buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    This link may also be useful to see what is seasonal.

Seasonal Fruit & Vegetables (PDF)

Doesn't show the best time to buy them though? Also does have a few items missing.

Ian
    Brilliant link - thanks! I shall print this out and stick it on the fridge...

This weekend some of the costs are:

Bananas slightly more than last week $2.29 per kg
    Strawberries (grown in Kumeu) more expensive this week at $3.60 for 385g punnet
    Very large Avocados $0.69 each (out of season up to $3 each)
    Rhubarb $3.16 for 500g pack (not sure how this compares price wise, but good quality slender stalks)
    spring onions $0.99 for large bunch (not very seasonal...max price all year about $1.99 bunch)
    red/yellow/green capsicum still $1.39 kg
    courgettes $2.89 kg (out of season up to $7 kg)
    aubergine (more expensive this week) at $3.85 each
    cucumber $2.49 each (out of season up to $5 each)
    cherry tomatos $2.99 for 500g (can by up to $8 for 500g, but not v seasonal as hot house version available in winter at similar prices)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast