Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmerston North

Default Palmerston North

Hi all

Just wondered if any members are living in Palmerston North, or surrounding area. The nursing agency that my wife has signed up with has mentioned the place as just one possibility for future employment... so we're thinking of having a stop-over whilst en-route from Napier to Wellington during our 3 week 'reccie' trip in April of both the North & South Islands.

Looking forward to hearing your views and comments about the place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Hi all

Just wondered if any members are living in Palmerston North, or surrounding area. The nursing agency that my wife has signed up with has mentioned the place as just one possibility for future employment... so we're thinking of having a stop-over whilst en-route from Napier to Wellington during our 3 week 'reccie' trip in April of both the North & South Islands.

Looking forward to hearing your views and comments about the place.

Thanks
    Marcia lives in Palmerston North, so might be worth sending her a PM.

Ian

Yes speak to Marcia, she's very helpful, and could tell you a lot about PN.

I may be heading to PN too- as a student though, so my version of Palmy may be different than yours.

I've been living in Palmerston North for two years now, attending Massey (I'm an older student). It's not too bad. It wouldn't be my first choice of places to live in NZ - the weather can be really grim and it's not very scenic, plus the town seems to roll up its sidewalks early. And there is no good beach nearby. That said, it has a nice riverside park, a newly-landscaped central square, lots of restaurants and bars, an 8-screen movie theatre, an impressive public library, and a cool aquatic center.

Massey University is right outside the town, but for the most part, Palmerston North does not have the feel of a university town, with the exception of a small student area just outside the CBD.

We've been here in Palmy now for 14 months, it isn't the most picturesque place in NZ, the wind can drive you crazy (my sister sent me ear muffs from the uk just after we arrived it was hurting my ears so much!) But we love it here!

Its very central for the lower half of North Island, only a couple of hours drive to most places, Napier, Wellington, 3 hours to Taupo. Only 20 mins to Foxton or Himatangi beachs, which whilst not been the most beautiful, are great for the kids building stuff with all the driftwood.

Can't tell you anything about the nightlife, as having 3 kids we don't go out, but most Kiwi families seem to entertain in their homes, having BBq's and games evenings.

us been racing nuts, its perfect with the huge Robertson Holden stadium, and other local tracks again only a couple of hours drive away, including Wanganui, Napier & Wellington.

Depending if you want to live in the town or on the outskirts (as we do 10 mins out of town) theres a good selection of areas and prices to choose from. (i can let you know which ones to avoid! )

If theres anything in particular you want to know or are trying to find out send me a Pm happy to help!

Hi Simon

We were in NZ just before Christamas and personally Palmy itself I wouldn't say is hugely appealing (for work yes, for living no). Having said that friends of ours live south of Palmy in a place called Ohau (just on the outskirts of Levin). I had cause to drive to Palmy for an interview from their house and it was approx a 30 minute scenic drive on a quiet highway, a commute I would easily do. Where my friends live is very pleasant with the most amazing mountain views and only 15 mins from the beach, so don't write Palmy off. If you don't mind a short commute you can have a nice lifestyle.

Kim

Palmy centre is on a kind of grid system round a large central square. There are 2 or 3 main roads running across and these have most of the big shops on with a couple of shopping malls too, the Plaza and another I forget. There are shops round the square, a big library and council offices etc, some nice cafes and restaurants although we tend to be there at lunchtimes, not evenings. It does seem to close up around 2-3 pm on Saturdays though, which surprised me for a main town. The malls stay open.

There are often events in the square. Last time we were there was the NZ Scottish bag pipe competition and junior Morris dancing, if that's your bag.

Just out of town there's a large industrial area with all the Mitre 10 and farming type stuff shops, a big Ezibuy clothing store, Turners car auctions......

It really isn't the most appealing place in NZ as Perksy says, but in less than 10 mins you're in the countryside again and there are some lovely areas to live in. I don't know the names of all the local area's but have a look on Trade Me and that'll give you an idea of property. Anything near the Herb
    Garden cafe at Woodville is a worth a look!

The airport is great, we prefer it to Wanganui. You can park there for a week or so for around $35.00 and your car is secure. The departure tax is $5.

They also have a wireless BB network (?) called inspire which is $10.00 a month. I only know that because we're interested in a house there. Here's the techie stuff http://www.inspire.net.nz/

Before I start sounding like a tourist brochure www.pncc.govt.nz

Quote Originally Posted by smiler View Post
    Anything near the Herb
    Garden cafe at Woodville is a worth a look!

The herb farm is just outside Ashhurst, which is this side of the Gorge, Woodville is through it!

Another nice area, but about 20-30 mins from Palmy centre is Pohanginia, beautiful area, small community, country school, no shops!!!

Or even where we live, Aokautere, lovely views, we can see Ruahepu on a clear day, lots of trees,hills around. (photo taken looking at our house from the house across the way that was for sale - I went for a nosy and took my camera to get a good picture of ours!!)

... thanks all, this is great information. I reckon we'll call off en-route from Napier and check things out. We probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the Nursing agency mentioning possibilities of employment in Palmerston. We like the idea that within 10 to 15 minutes you're into rural countryside... something we've got very used to having lived in the Vosges area of France. Good schooling, quality of life, nice scenery and general well being is the priority (as with all family's I guess) so we'll have a good look around should a job opportunity arise.

Gut feeling is to settle on the South Island, but afterall our 'recce' trip is to see as much of New Zealand as possible during our 3 weeks in April... I guess location will be decided on job opportunity at the end of the day, but it's still good to have a choice should there be more than one offer.

Just out of interest... when going from Palmerston North to Wellington is it more scenic to go down SH1 or SH2? We're thinking maybe SH2, so we can see some of the wineries near Martinborough

Thanks again all, it's much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast