Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to ship my stuff after arriving in New Zealand

aaargh.........another change in the rules!

We're in the same boat.

We have enough to fill a 20ft reefer but if they're going to charge £2,000 on entry on top of the shipping and storage we might as well buy new when we get there!

Anyone got more accurate costs?

It should be approximately $125 NZD per $1000 NZD worth of goods. You'll likely have to pay GST on the cost of having it shipped and insured as well. Some items have variable GST charges, less or more than the 12.5%. See here: http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ms+Charges.htm

They do take into account depreciation and age of items (http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...e+Payable.htm), but who knows if that is calculated in a standard way or if it varies from person to person.

I don't think too many people have experienced the change yet, so it might be best to give customs a ring and see how they plan on calculating your charges.
    Maybe they'll just base the charges on a declared value.

I guess I'm glad I'm not bringing much.

sorry I misunderstood - I thought you were asking how much it would be to ship your things over (doh! - - phew, bet that caused your heart to stop for a minute)

Hi vixxann

According to Ian and I don't doubt him for a second he states "you have resided or lived outside New Zealand for the whole of the 21 months before the date of your arrival in New Zealand" So your trip to Oz may not be enough. Ho hum!

As for the cost....... Thanks for the info Randomone. I'll just make sure I have it covered.

Thanks for all the info folks.

Regards

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Hi vixxann

According to Ian and I don't doubt him for a second he states "you have resided or lived outside New Zealand for the whole of the 21 months before the date of your arrival in New Zealand" So your trip to Oz may not be enough. Ho hum!

As for the cost....... Thanks for the info Randomone. I'll just make sure I have it covered.

Thanks for all the info folks.

Regards

Sue
    Just to clarify, I have no idea whether a trip to Oz would or wouldn't work?

The problem that I can see is that if you are in NZ on a visitors visa then I would think that you would not be considered resident or living in NZ so you would be Ok (not resided in NZ for the previous 21 months), however the problem would be how to leave NZ whilst still on the visitors visa and be able to return with the correct visa?

Ian

Have just posted under "worried about GST..." having had a conversation with NZ customs on this topic.

Fi (mrs M)

are any taxes that you have to pay - later refunded when you do get PR??

Not any more it seems. We missed that ship by 2 or 3 months. I can't see any way around this new legislation, as they want you to get the relevant visa in your home country, before arrival.

Fi.

Could really do with knowing how this process works (eg. valuations, taxation rates, average totals payable) from someone who has had to pay... do we have anyone yet... Lostock?? KatieJay??

It really is our only route in (visitor visa then work permit in NZ) so this is a major factor for us - may mean whether we bring anything or not

It would be cheaper to put stuff in storage until you get a visa, would't it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast