Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to ship my stuff after arriving in New Zealand

Default I want to ship my stuff after arriving in New Zealand

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can give me some advice. I have been reading on the forum that unless I have a PR visa then I will be charged at customs for the personal belongings coming in on a 20ft container. If I leave my stuff in storage in the UK and then send for it after I have secured a job in New Zealand will I still be charged for it?

Thanks

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can give me some advice. I have been reading on the forum that unless I have a PR visa then I will be charged at customs for the personal belongings coming in on a 20ft container. If I leave my stuff in storage in the UK and then send for it after I have secured a job in New Zealand will I still be charged for it?

Thanks

Sue
    The new rules do seem a bit misleading, but you don't need a PR visa.

On arrival in NZ you must hold one of the following:-

• A New Zealand Passport
    • An Australian Passport
    • A current New Zealand Residence visa or permit or a current New Zealand returning resident's visa or permit
    • A current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia
    • A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months
    • A current New Zealand work visa or permit issued under the Long Term Business Visa policy, that was issued for a minimum of 9 months
    • A current New Zealand visitor's visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of three years.

If you don't have one of these, then you will be liable to customs charges.

The only suggestion that has been mentioned that might get around this problem would be to leave the country and re-enter when you have the suitable visa which of course may cost you more than the charges. You would also have to be careful of this condition:-

"you have resided or lived outside New Zealand for the whole of the 21 months before the date of your arrival in New Zealand" i.e. if you were granted your PR whilst in NZ then you may fail this?

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'll have to pay it then. I'm taking a 20ft'er. Do you have a guestimate of the cost? I'll have the contents of a small 2 bed property and a some diy stuff I keep in my shed. Would it be more than £500?

At the moment I also have a quote for the actual shipping to the destination port only which I am happy with. I still need to arrange the collection from port to address. So if anyone has any experience of arranging this independantly too I would be grateful.

Thanks again in advance.

Sue

Sue - we are planning to leave our stuff in storage in UK until we have either 12mth work permit or PR (will apply for work permit 1st so hubbie can start work but we may also decide to put PR application in at same time)

Once we have either of above permits we will then ship our stuff over. The shipping companies are happy to do this, they will store for us or we can sort ourselves and they will come and pack from there when ready.

Quote Originally Posted by vixxann View Post
    Sue - we are planning to leave our stuff in storage in UK until we have either 12mth work permit or PR (will apply for work permit 1st so hubbie can start work but we may also decide to put PR application in at same time)

Once we have either of above permits we will then ship our stuff over. The shipping companies are happy to do this, they will store for us or we can sort ourselves and they will come and pack from there when ready.
    Is there any reason that you are waiting to ship your goods?

From the 15th November 2007 the rules changed and unless you have one of the documents I listed above when you first arrive in NZ you will be charged regardless of if you wait to ship until you get one. So it would seem pointless to wait to ship your goods.

Or, do you know something else?

Ian

Hi Vixxann,

I think I am going to put my stuff into storage for a while anyway because I don't think we'll have a permanent place until I can get my PR or Working Visa sorted. Just in case we have to come back because I can't find a job. Hope that doesn't happen though. After visiting for three weeks last November, I am absoutely cannot wait to live there.

I believe Ian is right though about the charges. If they need paying then I will. Sometimes you just have to jump through lots of hoops to realise your dream.

Has anyone got any actual figures on how much I would expect to pay for the effects on an average 2 bed house. I'm not taking TV's/videos, but all other stuff.

Kind Regards

Sue

right I am officially confused now
    didn't realise the changes meant what you are all saying they mean i.e. its your status on arriving in the country not what permit you end up getting (is that the correct summary?)
    am going to have to look into this all over again

Hi Vixxann,

Yes that's the deal. Unfortunately the new rules state (Ian was kind enough to explain previously) that it's you initial entry visa status. I am in the same boat as other people who have skills New Zealand need, but don't have the degree to go with it, and hence can't get the relevant point to apply from the UK. I'm having to go in on the visitors visa and hope I can land a job before the 6 months is up.

Sorry Vixxann.

I'd still like to know roughly how much I should put aside for the taxes though.

Regards

Sue

as for the cost - yes, it will cost more than £500 - more like £2000, I would expect

okay - can anyone confirm for sure if..
    after arriving in NZ on visitor visa then obtaining a work permit or PR - could you leave country (holiday to Oz) and re-enter with stamped passport - then get goods shipped with no GST?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast