Thread: Laptop compatibility

Default Laptop compatibility

We hope that bringing a laptop with us will avoid the long wait for access to the internet that would otherwise occur if we wait for our desktop computer to arrive by sea. Have other people used this approach and has it worked?
    If we buy a laptop in the UK will it work in NZ? We assume it will work okay as a stand-alone computer, but are there issues of compatibility when it comes to modems, ISPs, telephone cables & connectors, and software, when trying to access the internet for Emails and the WWW?
    How easy is it to set up an ISP when we arrive in NZ and are they NZ specific? Is there much choice in ISP and does anyone have any recommendations? Is it possible to set up a Pay-as-you-go account in the short-term until we can set up a broadband account?
    Please give answers in child speak for us non- technie folk!

Oooh, so many questions! I can answer some of them....

My husband and I both brought our UK laptops with us and we have had no problems using them at all. The modem and ethernet cables are the same, and we set up our wireless internet really easily. I haven't bought any software here, but my husband has, and I don't think there were any issues. I am using the cables from the UK with an adaptor plug, but my husband bought a new plug cable for his from Betta Electrical or something.

We're using Telecom, but I'm sure there are better ISPs out there - we just didn't have the energy to find out about them, and I wanted it set up as quickly as possible - it took us a week to get our Telecom account up and running.

Can't help with your other questions, I'm afraid but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon...

Hi
    I have also thought of buying a lap top prior to moving as there will be so much information that will need accessing on arrival.Will watch this post for the replies.
    Helen

U.k lap tops work fine over here. You can go into the internet cafes and conect up with no problems.
    When we asked about pay as you go internet kiwi on line was recomended. We didn't go down that route in the end so I can't tell you if they are any good.
    If you bring your own modem/router with you, you may need to update the firmware to an international one as uk specific firmware doesn't work here.

Will my microsoft office be accepted in New Zealand, even though the disc is for uk use?
    Thanks for letting me hijack your thread.
    Cath X

Quote Originally Posted by cathgates View Post
    Will my microsoft office be accepted in New Zealand, even though the disc is for uk use?
    Thanks for letting me hijack your thread.
    Cath X
    Yes.

with orcon you can sign up to dial up internet and then use it from any landline. we found this really good when we first moved over and were staying in friends houses and for when we first arrived in wellington, waiting for the broadband to be connected.
    their website is www.orcon.net.nz

Much the same response as the others really. The only problem I have had is that my UK Norton 360 antivirus thingy is blocking e-mails to my xtra.co.nz account. Don't know why or what to do about it but I use a yahoo.co.nz address and my old tiscali.co.uk address no problems.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Some very useful answers here. Sounds as though it won't be as complicated or problematic as I had feared (famous last words .... this is IT we're talking about!).