Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This week mostly I have been drinking........

Default This week mostly I have been drinking........

Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to talk about Wine

As a newcomer to New Zealand I have been amazed by the immense selection of wines from various regions here, and wondered if anyone would like to say what their favourite wine was, and why? - or point us all in the right direction if a particularly good wine comes on offer at the supermarket?

This topic arises from the fact that I purchased a particularly 'iffy' Wine Cask yesterday in an attempt to cut back on the budget - doh! false economy if it tastes like 'paint stripper'

So as not to discriminate, please feel free (if wine is not 'your thing') to nominate/recommend a good Beer, or a favourite Cocktail if you prefer?

Cheers!

We seem to drink a lot of Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc. (I say we, but it's mainly me.) Yum.

Yeah, um, wine casks..... never ever get a generic "white/red wine" they are always (IMHO) awful!

If you want to get casks, get one that at least has a named grape variety! The Banrock station ones are not at all bad, and if you can get them on special all the better!

Personal fave is NZ Pinot Gris.... YUMMY.

We have had some wines from http://www.nz-wine-society.co.nz/ when they had a warehouse sale locally. Some lovely ones including a very nice cava, nicer that Lindauer (although I am sure Kate would disagee )

You can generally get a Corbans, Hardys or Banrock station on special most weeks in the major supermarkets, also a thing to look out for in the liquor stores is Clearskins, they are not vineyard identified, so you get a "Hawkes Bay Chardonnay" but you dont know which one, these are quite good value too.

OK, now I am rambling....

Glass of wine now methinks.... (none in the house though, darn it)

Ah yes, the wine cask.. We carried a "red" all over the SI that even our 6 year old called "grape juice"... I think it had a vintage of April and we were there in June..

On the other hand, my brother-in-law, a rather serious Manhattan wine aficionado, said that they buy every Cloudy Bay bottle they can find (my wife's cousin in Wellington also swears by CB)...

I buy casks - the country red I think - its ok for mild stress relief, but if I am treating myself - I tend to look at whats on special. LOL - but most taste too sweet! other than the Banrocks and the like! but sometimes its cheaper to get the bottles on special.

Oyster Bay has a nice red selection - Cloudy Bay is always out of stock or way out my purse range!

sorry i can't tell you the name of the nice bottles we drank at the weekend as I went to the bottle bank

but I have been good this week - I haven't had a glass in 2 days (mind u that may be because I forgot to go to Liquorland ...... )

funny how my taste is governed by the purse - but thats kiwi wages for you!eyes:

Kat

Ohhh, Cloudy Bay - when we first arrived we were told to order in our Cloudy Bay as it was "the" wine... it was bloomin' expensive ($40/bottle or so) and we didn't like it!

I now stick to Pinot Gris (usually Villa Maria or Bald Hills). Wasn't a white wine drinker in the UK, here it's what I mostly drink.

Hubby sticks mostly to Mudhouse Pinot Noir.

But right now I'm in to Canterbury Cream - it's like Baileys but a lot cheaper!

Oh, and I like a girly Monteiths Summer Ale

Before being in NZ I never tried the blends, like a cab/shiraz/merlot, but I'm devoted now. Guess I just don't have what it takes to be a cork dork; if it's red, I'll try it. Can't groove on the sweet whites though.

Tonight's drink is a Yellow Tail shiraz/cab, to chase down some hummus & salty pita chips. Color me happy.

Just had a nice bottle of Astrolabe sauvignon blanc, but I've hit the grapefruit cocktails tonight as it's the start of 4 days off. See you Saturday Jo Jo!!

Fab thread LesleyS!
    Here are some of my faves:
    Wither Hills Sauv Blanc (or Hardy's Sav B if Wither Hills isn't on offer)
    Church Road Chardonnay
    Brown Brothers Dolcette & Syrah (er, a sweetish red that you serve chilled, not everyone's cup of tea!)
    Sparkling: Lindauer Special Reserve Brut

However, we drink most wines that are on offer!

Gil

I buy whatever Red is on special [normally we have a bottle a night ] but for the past fortnight .........water !!!

Just drinking at the weekend ,we are on a great money saving endeavor ,so no wine for us or fizzy pop for the kids !!

Marie x

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast