Thread: MAF Inspection Question

Question MAF Inspection Question

We are trying to determine an estimate of our MAF fees for our container. My question is, "does anyone know what items they are likely to inspect?" If so, maybe we could put those items in a couple of boxes and save money on the MAF inspection fees. Thanks in advance to all replies.

Suzanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-In-Texas View Post
    ...My question is, "does anyone know what items they are likely to inspect?" .... put those items in a couple of boxes and save money on the MAF inspection fees. ...Suzanne.
    The quick answer is that they want to inspect anything that might harbor cooties that they don't want in NZ. Things with lots of places for spiders like wicker furniture or baskets, your camping gear, your bikes, fishing gear, etc.... and things that might have seeds...like your spices from the kitchen or your honey, etc....
    The longer answer is linked in one of the previous threads which you can find using the forums search engine. You can also find the fee schedule.

By all means, group your items that you expect to have inspected and put them at the back of the container if you can.

You didn't ask this, but let me add that when you're cleaning this like bikes, make them shine. Use Armourall on the rubber, WD-40 on the bare metal, repaint the bottom of your mower. It only takes a little bit, but you know you've done it right when the inspector opens the third box or so and says' "This is the way stuff should be. Thank you!"

Good luck.

I'd put anything you think they'll want to look at (or that's on their list) in separate boxes and stick an itemized list on the outside.

They'll want to look at anything like this;and there's some costings on here too but they'll be plus anything your shipper wants to charge, so ask to pay MAF direct.
    http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/perso...our-belongings

Or do a forum search for MAF, there's a load of threads on this.

If you've got any stuff like this, make sure it's throughly cleaned before packing too.

HTH.

Default restricted items

and these are restricted items so don't even bother with the honey!

Quarantine risk items include:

Very helpful post. I'll certainly check my stuff for any of these things. One thing though. What about feather duvet's and pillows? Are these ok at all?

Thanks

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    ... feather duvet's and pillows? Are these ok at all?
    Yes.

Yes, Nathan is right with his advice to put some effort into making the bikes shine.
    When MAF inspected our self-packed container they had a look at the bikes, kids' scooters and our trailer and commented on how clean they were. The only other items out of the whole lot they had a look at was a box full of shoes/hiking boots/wellies.
    We had marked the items we thought likely to be inspected with red tape so they were easy to spot and put them close to the doors of the container. In the packing list we also added the words "cleaned" or "washed" to any item they might be interested in.
    On the whole we were surprised that they didn't want to look at more things. If their impression of the first few things they look at is positive ("Oh! nice and shiny!") they probably don't bother with the rest.

Thankyou everyone for your replies...The information you gave was very helpful...We will only be shipping personal effects..No furniture, bikes gardening tools or anything like that.

Thanks again,

Suzanne.