Thread: electrician quals

Question electrician quals

Hi all

I need to know which electricians quals are needed to be able to move to NZ. I keep getting different info so am rather confused.
    Could anyone supply me with the qualification name and number which are most accepted.
    How much training, apprentiship time and/or work experience is needed?
    Do you have to have UK quals converted into NZ quals and do you have to sit an exam for this?

Sooooooooooo many questions!!!

Thanks guys

Dylon

Default answers

Hi Dylon

Will PM you

Default elecs

Just remembered it won't let me yet as you need to do more posts first.
    Will try to answer as best I can. The answers I give were what we had to do last year so it may not be current:

Your quals will need to be assessed by www.nzqa.govt.nz.They need original certificates and a completed form that you download and post off together with a fee of course! They will grade UK quals to NZ grade. You will need grade 4 to proceed.

EWRB www.ewrb.govt.nz also need to see quals and experience to decide on which courses you need to complete once in NZ. They will accept copies but you need to list absolutely everything experience wise.

Quals we have are C&G part 1 and 2. AM 2. 16th edition. C&G level 3 Inspect and test. These and max 10 years experience gave us grade 4.

Hope this helps. Happy to help more if need be

Nat

Nat

So you still need to get Qual's approved by NZQA? As i still yet to apply PR (even there been working here 7mths!) i thought they were already recognised qualifications? Sure i read that somewhere? Hmm, ah well youv'e done that bit so you would know I have all that fun to come!

I finally have in my hand a FULL unrestricted NZ Sparkies License and Rego though.... (delivered yesterday!)

Hi Lee,
    Huge congrats on the licence and rego. That's good news.
    Yes we did have to do NZQA. They changed policy just as we embarked on the process. Maybe it will be different for you? As you are there and doing stuff already. By the way I loved the photos of those cable cars to the house, I want one

Now of course I may be completely wrong, but I did think it was up to the EWRB to assess your qualifications and to issue NZ registration. You'll be the only people I know of that have gone the NZQA route to electrical registration, if that route even exists.

The EWRB work within quite a tight legislative framework, and all the accepted qualifications are laid out for them by government. So unless they've changed the law without telling us.......

If you go onto the EWRB website it's all there for you to look at.

Failing that, you need Schedule 6 of the "Electricity Regulations 1997", which give chapter and verse on overseas equivalents. If it aint there, you can't have it. Try producing C&G 2360 part 2, that should do. I have higher qualifications, they were no good as the act requires 2360. I actually went back to college after 30 years in the industry and took the exam, passed, ticked the box and moved on. The act also specifies what else you have to do to gain registration. I "just happen" to have a copy of the act in front of me, so if you are sitting comfortably, I'll begin.....

Excerpt from Schedule 6:-

==========

The following conditions apply to every United Kingdom qualification specified in the first column:

Provide evidence of having aquired the skills listed in clause 1 (2) of schedule 1

Pass a regulations examination in the subject matter listed in clause 2 (b) of schedule 1:

Pass a practical assessment in the subject matter listed in stage 3 of clause 2 (c) of schedule 1:

Provide evidence of having completed safety instruction in the subject matter listed in clause 3 of schedule 1.

===========

How did I do it?

Went to College in the UK and took and passed C&G 2360 part 2.

Passed the safety training on a day trip to NZ house in London.

Submitted all the skills evidence, the examination certificates (certified copies) to the EWRB in Wellington, in person.

A week later I got "provisional registration".

Later that year went to Weltec for the skills assesment and regulations examination. You can do the safety training here if you wish.

Got issued full registration, just like Leccie Lee has just done.
    Last edited by PeteS; 25th January 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Default Nzqa

Unfortunately when we started the process Jan 2007 the rules were changed and we were informed by NZIS that all qualifications had to be assessed and graded by NZQA. When the ITA is posted there is also a yellow form enclosed which advises that certificates and experience need to be assessed by NZQA and they need to be equivalent to at least grade 4. You cannot send in the ITA without this being completed.

EWRB then assess certificates and work experience and advise which exams etc need to be taken once in NZ. The safety training can be taken in UK only.

So at the beginning of the process it is wise to do NZQA at the same time as EWRB. As I have said NZQA require original certificates but EWRB are happy to see copies. NZQA turnaround was a few weeks but EWRB was a few months.

Hope this helps
    Nat
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont Babes View Post
    Unfortunately when we started the process Jan 2007 the rules were changed and we were informed by NZIS that all qualifications had to be assessed and graded by NZQA. When the ITA is posted there is also a yellow form enclosed which advises that certificates and experience need to be assessed by NZQA and they need to be equivalent to at least grade 4. You cannot send in the ITA without this being completed.

EWRB then assess certificates and work experience and advise which exams etc need to be taken once in NZ. The safety training can be taken in UK only.

So at the beginning of the process it is wise to do NZQA at the same time as EWRB. As I have said NZQA require original certificates but EWRB are happy to see copies. NZQA turnaround was a few weeks but EWRB was a few months.
    Safety training can be done out here. We have to redo it every two years anyway as a requirement of continueing your registration. It is more convenient to have done it in the UK, that's all.

I just produced my provisional registration to the NZIS. They were happy with that as it is a "registered trade". They may have added to their rules, but the EWRB system still stands. Or falls, but that's another discussion!

The EWRB assesment and subsequent examinations will be according to the legislation I specified.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The EWRB assesment and subsequent examinations will be according to the legislation I specified.
    Take a look at :-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...DLM228450.html