Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telephone interview!

Default telephone interview!

I found out this morning that I have a telephone interview next week, as I am still in the UK, anyone have any tips specifically for telephone based interviews?

All the best! Most of the times, it's a screening exercise.

thanks, I've had the screening call already with the HR Manager (20 minutes), but the one next week is a proper competency based interview with a two person panel.

We had telephone interview with a 3 person panel for the Probation Service..this is what we found/did.

The interview questions were based around the "person specification" which were advertised as part of the application. If you study these and have an answer or example of how you achieved the different criteria then you shouldn't go far wrong. We were not asked anything regarding our C.V or working history.
    Our interviews lasted around an hour and it was rather informal/relaxed. Everyone introduced themselves and used first names. Due to the nature of our work we were also given a scenario to reply to.

Due to the time difference we had our interviews at 9pm which meant we were both quite tired which they understood.
    Normally when you have an interview (especially with a Government Agency) you dress smart...we were both in our jim jams which meant we were comfy and relaxed.
    Try and take the phone into a different room from the rest of the family to minimise interuptions. Have the usual pen and paper but also have notes so that you don't forget anything you want to tell them, make notes of the questions they ask you as I found that no sooner had I started answering I promptly forgot the question! I also found that a glass of water was handy.

We found that each panel memeber had different sets of questions to ask on specific areas of the person spec. They took it in turns and introduced themselves everytime it moved to them so that we knew who we were talking to.

There is a time delay on the phone, but you probably already know that if you have spoken with them before. I found that I had to concentrate to tune my ear into the accent. We had a Maori Council Representative on the panel and we struggled most with his accent.

Not sure what else to put except, relax, have faith in yourself and GOOD LUCK If you what to know anything else just ask.

Marybelle

I read on here about a week ago that someone recommended standing up and walking during a telephone interview. OH did this too when he had his and found it beneficial. I agree with the glass of water being handy and having relevant papers handy.

Good luck

that's brilliant guys, thanks for the top tips, going to print them off and digest them

Speak slower than you would normally and try to smile as you answer (you sound warmer apparently)

Good luck

Do NOT tell them you are still in your jammies.

yep, was going to keep that to myself!

Depends on the kind of pyjamas...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast