Thread: Duck feather duvet - Can we ship it or will the MAF get their hands on it???

Default Duck feather duvet - Can we ship it or will the MAF get their hands on it???

Hi all,

Have been reading this forum for a while but now finally starting to post so HELLO to all!...

We are emigrating to NZ and arrive on March 11th into Christchurch before heading off to Nelson but the removal guys arrive this Tuesday as we fly in a few weeks to visit USA on our way down south and I have a question about shipping ...

Can we ship our Duck feather duvet as part of a container or will it be inspected/refused by the MAF on arrival?... We aren't bringing much stuff with us but the duvet was pretty expensive as good quality so would like to have it with us if at all possible?...

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Thank you in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by thekiwibarkers View Post
    Hi all,

Have been reading this forum for a while but now finally starting to post so HELLO to all!...

We are emigrating to NZ and arrive on March 11th into Christchurch before heading off to Nelson but the removal guys arrive this Tuesday as we fly in a few weeks to visit USA on our way down south and I have a question about shipping ...

Can we ship our Duck feather duvet as part of a container or will it be inspected/refused by the MAF on arrival?... We aren't bringing much stuff with us but the duvet was pretty expensive as good quality so would like to have it with us if at all possible?...

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Thank you in advance...
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

From MAF: Importing Feathers (PDF)

Private or commercial importations of quilts, duvets, pillows and sleeping bags may be given clearance.
    So yes you can bring your duvet and yes it may be examined (but unlikely), they have the option of examining everything.

Worst case scenario is that they would fumigate it at a cost to you.

Others on the forum have suggested that duvets are dry cleaned and kept in their bag so that it is obvious that it has been cleaned.

Ian

What about duck feather pillows?

We brought a goosedown duvet and pillows, and some other feather pillows, and had no problems at all - MAF didn't even examine them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    What about duck feather pillows?

Fetch 'em...

We took (newly cleaned and sweet smelling !) feather duvets and pillows to NZ. They were all packed up with the rest of the linen by the shippers and never questioned.

As Ian quite rightly says, MAF do have the right to inspect them, but it's highly unlikely.

The same goes for wood furniture and cane items such as a conservatory suite. If it's a treated piece of household furniture you shouldn't have any problems.

Once we arrived in NZ, the shippers NZ agent sent us a form that included a list of 'items to be declared'. It had been nearly 4 months since we had seen our household effects and I couldn't find the itinerary that I had been given from the UK shippers, so I just ticked the 'declared' boxes to the best of my memory and I have to be honest here and say that there were a few items that I'd forgotten about.

I experienced no problems whatsoever. Yes, we had a MAF bill of around $300, but I didn't consider that to be the end of the world.

Julie

xx