Thread: Scuba Diving PADI or BSAC ?

Default Scuba Diving PADI or BSAC ?

I hope to take up Scuba again when I get to New Zealand.....haven't done it for a while...........can't imagine why our cold, murky waters or the local swimming pool don't appeal but..........

Anyway, which qualification is more widely recognised.....BSAC or PADI ??

OH says that from the people he has spoken to here so far, more seem to be PADI qualified here in NZ than BSAC (he did BSAC though).

Hi Joanne

My OH learned to dive in NZ when we were there last time (6 yrs ago now!!) and he got a PADI qualie if that's any help?

PADI is the most widely recognised but for serious diving BSAC all the way. I know several professional divers and they are absolutely scathing of PADI - I guess it's OK for shallow, clear water diving but anything more serious and it's lacking.

Cool

most places I've dived at seem to recognise all the different flavours and so long as you can provide a certificate from whichever discipline, the dive shops are happy to take you ...

I got a CMAS cert as I learnt in Tenerife and that was recommended to me then

I'd say that PADI is a more internationally recognised system tho ...

PADI for me too

ummm .... padi qualified divers can be as skilled and more skilled than BSAC (yes I am padi) - please don't lump us all in the same category

BSAC. Better Start Another Commitee.

Club environment, teaching done mostly within clubs. It can take a while to get taught. Teaching is usually ok, but depends upon the instructor and club. BSAC is not common in NZ, but would be recognised.

PADI. Put Another Dollar In.

Full time instructors. Worldwide. Normally associated with warm water holiday type divers, but they also do decompression diving! Standards are usually the same around the world.

And then past both of those two would the likes of TDI or IANTD, who do technical diving courses. Rebreathers, Mixed gasses, Cave, Deep, etc.

If you are a normal open circuit diver that does not do decompression dives, PADI is great. They get you in the water (which is where a trainee diver wants to be), and there are plenty of higher level courses once you've got the basic "Open Water" certification.

I went through the PADI system from Open Water to Assistant Instructor, and then jumped to IANTD for Normoxic Trimix (Helium mixes), and Rebreather certification, also on Helium mixes to depths of 100m+.

Thank you...this is great!

I'm strictly a 'just for fun' diver and I have my PADI Advanced so I should be ok once I've brushed up with an instructor.

Didn't really want to go through the lengthy BSAC course.

Thanks again!