Thread: Teacher training in NZ

Default Teacher training in NZ

My daughter wants to be a high school science teacher and is currently taking a chemistry degree here in the UK. Is it better for her to do her teacher training in the UK afterwards or do it in NZ? Would it help her job prospects if she trained in NZ?

I actually asked the New Zealand Teachers Council and they said that they had no preference.

Some adverts specify NZ trained or working knowledge of NZ curriculum so would have thought best to do in NZ if that's where she wants to work..

Hello,

Although NZ fully accepts UK teaching qualifications, from my experience of teaching in different countries (other than the UK, that is) I would say that generally speaking schools will prefer to employ new teachers who have qualified in their own country. Also, when you do your teacher training placements you make links with schools and colleagues in your area which is beneficial when searching for employment. Therefore, if possible I would advise that your daughter does her training in NZ if your family intends to stay there. Plus, there are likely to be some differences in the curriculum. Hope this helps!

Justine

Thanks for the advice, I think she had already decided to train in NZ. Partly cos it means she comes over sooner rather than having to do another year in the UK.

Hello, just wanted to say that I will be starting teacher training in NZ in March and I chose to train in NZ because I was told by several Kiwi teachers I met while in NZ last year that there is a definite preference for NZ trained teachers when it comes to new teachers.

Since your daughter is in the sciences it may not be as important because there is such a shortage of science teachers everwhere. Since I'm a history/social studies teacher to be, and there isn'tsuch a shortage of those, I decided it was best to study in NZ.

Just wanted to put in my two cents, glad to hear she will likely be choosing NZ.