Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateur basketball

Default Amateur basketball

Mooving to NZ, but haven't choosen the city yet.
    I'm training in basketball and would hate to stop doing it, so naturally
    i want to find city where i will be able to continue with my hobby.

If anyone has any information regarding basketball activities.
    I'm not talking about where one can watch, but where one can participate.

I'm interested is there any amateur leagues in NZ. Where amateur teams compete? I would like to join one of the teams.

If no amateur leagues, at least is there any place where folks come together and play after the job?

Which city should i choose to get into basketball? Auck, Welly or Chrch is all considered to be candidates, however Welly or Chrch is better from other perspecives so i would love to settle in either of them if i knew there is amateur basketball present.

Absolutely any info would be helpful, since i couldn't find anything so far.

Hi - I'm not sure how old you are, but my 17 yr old is heavily into basketball and since moving to ChCh a year ago has had more opportunity to play than in Auckland. He plays with slightly older guys but has met most of them through college.
    There seem to be a few different leagues & loads of basketball courts around.
    Some contacts are - Kiwi Hoops.co.nz - Web site dedicated to New Zealand basketball; carries the latest scores, statistics & points tables, journalistic columns, interviews & profiles; based in Christchurch
    www.canterburybasketball.co.nz -Non-profit sporting organisation to foster the growth, development & promotion of basketball in Canterbury; manages all club & social competitions; operates an extensive junior development programme for age group players in Canterbury

Quote Originally Posted by westi View Post
    Hi - I'm not sure how old you are, but my 17 yr old is heavily into basketball and since moving to ChCh a year ago has had more opportunity to play than in Auckland. He plays with slightly older guys but has met most of them through college.
    There seem to be a few different leagues & loads of basketball courts around.
    Some contacts are - Kiwi Hoops.co.nz - Web site dedicated to New Zealand basketball; carries the latest scores, statistics & points tables, journalistic columns, interviews & profiles; based in Christchurch
    www.canterburybasketball.co.nz -Non-profit sporting organisation to foster the growth, development & promotion of basketball in Canterbury; manages all club & social competitions; operates an extensive junior development programme for age group players in Canterbury
    I'm 23. Thank you so much. You gave me inspiration that i needed. I was already starting to worry that no one plays basketball that much in chrch or welly. This is really good news.

If anyone have some information regarding wellington please share !!

It's definately popular in ChCh, I hope you manage to get some info about Wellington - and good luck with your decision !

Quote Originally Posted by msleiners View Post
    I'm 23. Thank you so much. You gave me inspiration that i needed. I was already starting to worry that no one plays basketball that much in chrch or welly. This is really good news.

If anyone have some information regarding wellington please share !!
    You could try Wellington Basketball Association

Ian

Sorry, bit off topic, but I just love the nickname of the NZ basketball team - The Tall Blacks.

Ok. thanks for your input everyone. With your help i have found out the following.

Christchurch has a comprehensive club system over the winter mths and then just summer leagues. Clubs have multiple teams culminating with a Premier mens side which can play locally or in a NZ conference league called the CBL.

Wellington has a similar set up but do not really have clubs as such. They tend to have individual teams which play in the local competition and again have winter and summer options.
    Both welly and christchurch have trails where teams gather new players. If one want to join team he can go to these trails and show his/her skills.

These are information sites.
    Welly - http://www.wellingtonbasketball.co.nz/cgi-bin/home.pl
    Chrch - http://www.canterburybasketball.co.nz/
    overall info - http://www.basketball.org.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by b&k View Post
    Sorry, bit off topic, but I just love the nickname of the NZ basketball team - The Tall Blacks.
    Yeah nice name for a team
    I wonder if whites are allowed in this team ?

Yes, whites are allowed in the team. Black is the NZ National colour, and teams are often called ....Blacks. e.g Rugby team are the All Blacks, Black Sticks for Hockey etc etc, so Tall Blacks is just another name in the theme...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbob View Post
    Yes, whites are allowed in the team. Black is the NZ National colour, and teams are often called ....Blacks. e.g Rugby team are the All Blacks, Black Sticks for Hockey etc etc, so Tall Blacks is just another name in the theme...
    I see ... i didn't know that. I also wonder why peaople are called kiwis here ? Something to do with the bird i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast