Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV Format - see what a good CV in terms of NZ should look like

Default CV Format - see what a good CV in terms of NZ should look like

Has any got a copy of a successful format for a CV in NZ?

I am sure that this must have been posted before, so if you want to point me at a link that's fine, but just would like to visually see what a good CV in terms of NZ should look like as I want to start sending out copies in the next week or so.

Hello
    Can't find an example that Ive looked at before...sorry but I will keep looking. I remember one eg started with key skills that you can offer in a list and also state your Nationality and if you have professional registration already sorted put that.
    I NZ'ed my UK CV (didnt include the list of key skills, found out that later) a NZ employer has shown interest.
    Hopefully someone else will be more helpful? but if I can find the website I was looking at I'll post the info.
    Good luck!

My experience has been there's not a huge difference to UK CVs. I don't think there's any standard around including lists of skills etc - that will vary from industry to industry and person to person as in the UK. The only things I have noticed is that NZ CVs tend to be longer and include more detail - they are frequently more than 2 pages, which would be unusual in the UK. Having said that, I used a 2 page format which seemed to be OK. Also, you should include your nationality and state clearly that you have the right to work in NZ. e.g on mine I say "Nationality: British with NZ permanent residency"

It might be worth you looking at this link:-Creating your Application

This is what is recommended by Victoria University and includes a sample cv for you to look at.

Ian

Cheers folks for the advice and thoughts!

Lightbulb

I had no problems with my detailed 2 page UK CV ...

will PM you links to my CV and also an extended Resume with a bit more detail that was requested by a couple of agents ...

I think it varies from industry to industry, but I'm in I.T. and was advised by a recruiter to re-do my CV to make it 7-8 pages long.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
    I think it varies from industry to industry, but I'm in I.T. and was advised by a recruiter to re-do my CV to make it 7-8 pages long.

I got the same advice when I visited a couple of agencies on my recce trip, but to be honest I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt.

Presently, my CV is a perfect one page, designed for the UK. I'm going to re-write it with 2 pages, but I refuse to make it 7-8 pages. I've seen a few CVs that long and unless you've changed job every year, you'll struggle not to repeat yourself over and over again.

I can't see any employer wanting to wade through a pile of 7-8 page CVs.

In the UK, the CV is purely a tool to get an interview, and I can't imagine it's any different in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon&Candy View Post

In the UK, the CV is purely a tool to get an interview, and I can't imagine it's any different in NZ.
    Hmm, one wouldn't think so. However I personally have found the job market to be completely different to the UK. Things that I took for granted as common (courteous) practice doesn't exist, and although Kiwis do not like 'tall poppies' they seem to require applicants to be persistant beyond what I would consider polite.

I've been told a good format for CVs is as follows:
    Personal details, then a simple table showing employment record (companies/roles/dates). This quickly identifies any periods of unemployment - very important information.
    Next comes a list of qualifications.
    Then detailed description of current employment: Responsibilities. Achivements.
    Last pages should be a summary of key skills with examples. I thought my CV was long at 3 pages, but was told it was too short - apparently 5 to 7 pages is more usual for NZ vacancies (in the UK I was an electronics engineer).

Cheers,
    John

Hmm, I used my UK CV format with one addition only - a small photo at the top! As per NZ Expo web site advice.

Structure:
    Personal details followed by
    Caption Summary of me (approx 3 lines!)
    Skills Synopsis
    Work exerience - achievements biased
    Qualifications
    Other skills/hobbies i.e. I'm a fully rounded person:-)

Total of 3 pages, headings in bold, no fancy formatting in the main... I've worked in a few countries for different companies. I had 3 job offers and those were the ones I followed up. These were directly with companies and not via agents.

I'm also been involved in interviewing past/present, and am horrified at the prospect of wading through CVs 7-8 pages long. They'd fail the "concise summary" test right away for me, and I wouldn't get much past the first couple of pages as I yawned and stretched...! But maybe it's cultural - I've worked in other countries where volume was considered the norm, albeit tedious to wade through.

Oh yeah - I work in telecoms, Project Mgt:-) PM me if you think I can help in any way, want to see my CV etc!

Kate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast