Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of dental treatment - comparisons

Default Cost of dental treatment - comparisons

Hi all,

When I got to work today, a bit fell off one of my teeth. So I booked an emergency appointment with a dentist in central London and then had it removed.

The appointment cost £38 and the extraction another £95. Quite expensive but was in and out in under an hour and back to my desk to continue working/browsing this forum.

Has anyone had something similar in NZ and how much did it cost?

Oh boy is this good timing...

Not long after we arrived (2004) a root canal I'd had done in the U.K. (£300-ish) prior to moving out started playing up and it had to be re-done. That took 3 appts and cost $1,300.

Just before Xmas I broke a molar

They temporarily capped it and said they'd fill it at a later date but that they wanted to finish the hygienist work I'd started first (full scale and polish over 4 appts - $300).

Last week they removed the temp filling and found that I needed ANOTHER root canal as nerves had died/were dying. Total cost.... $1190

I'm not a happy bunny....

Yes, I could have had it removed but I've always been told much better to try and save a tooth first (hah, at that amount of $$ I'm not surprised) as the loss of one molar is, in effect, the loss of two teeth cos bottom tooth has no "partner". I hope someone's not going to come along and tell me I've been conned

I'm looking for dental insurance if anyone has any tips... advice...

when i was in Nelson in December I needed an emergency appointment to recement my crown and to put in a filling. In total it cost $100 - the filling was $40. I'm happy with that (compared to London)

I have to say that affording dentistry in NZ does worry me as I struggle here. Maintenance is the best policy, never eat sugar between meals, floss etc but 3 pregnancies in 3 years seriously put my teeth under threat. I now have a bridge due to a weakened front tooth and just have to hope that they won't cause too much trouble in NZ. I could of had an implant instead of a bridge in the UK at a cost of £3000!

Fortunately, it was a top wisdom tooth for me that was not really needed so the decision to remove it was easy.

In the UK, do you get free NHS dentistry if you're pregnant (assuning you can find one)? Is there anything similar in NZ?

I got free dentistry whilt pregnant in UK

I paid $55 for a basic check up on Thursday. It may not have been the cheapest, but he takes appointments from 7:00 am, so I can get there and leave before work.

I had a root canal 10 years ago that cost £300, I was told I needed another one a few months ago and was quoted a staggering £800.

I'll pull it out with pliers before paying that -anyone got a bottle of whisky??

Right in the middle of treatment when my tooth under the crown sheared off - abscess developed. Going to cost me best part of $2000 for all the work.
    Root canal cost me $650 up to now. But the difference!!! The work done in UK wasn't done properly (isn't there a recurring theme here?) as it wasn't filled completely leaving a void. Bacteria loved that void and that was half the problem. Luckily for us, a friend lives next door to one of her dentists and she came in on her day off to sort me out with the abscess. When she finished the root canal work last week she took and x-ray and showed me the filling right up the centre of the tooth, very impressed. It is painful in more ways than one though with the dollars and obvious physical pain

I had root canal work redone by an Endodontist on two teeth last year at a cost of £850 and then spent another £700 on getting two crowns fitted by my own dentist..

I hope I won’t need anymore work done for a while, but the cost of paying for NZ dentistry on a reduced income does concern me, as I just don’t do dental pain!

Are there any dental insurance products that anyone would recommend?

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast