Thread: Auckland ferries

Default Auckland ferries

I've been looking around the website looking for recommendations about where to live in Auckland, as it would be helpful to have an area in mind when looking for rentals (we'll rent for a year or so till we get the lay of the land).

I've been looking at areas (mostly in North Shore) in terms of their commutability either by car or bus.

But a lot of poster's comments on here talk about ferries, and it seems there are lots of locations where you can just hop on a ferry straight into the CBD. Both my wife and I will be working in the CBD, right on the waterfront, so a ferry that drops off there would be ideal for us. We won't need a car on a normal working day.

Does anybody know of a list of ferry locations along the greater Auckland shoreline and up towards Gulf harbour and east towards say Beachlands/Omana Beach?

I'm just trying to get a handle on how the idea of commuting by ferry expands our options. How reliable/timely are they? What's the cost like? Is it always possible to get a seat?

We've pretty much ruled out Waiheke Island, as we like to stay out late at weekends, and that would be limited by how late the ferries run. Driving would remain an option for us outside commuting hours.

Thanks to Alan, I found this list of ferry terminals.

Fullers
    http://www.fullers.co.nz/

Bayswater
    Birkenhead
    Devonport
    Great Barrier Island
    Half Moon Bay
    Northcote Point
    Rangitoto island
    Stanley Bay
    Waiheke Island

Sealink
    http://www.sealink.co.nz/

Waiheke Island
    Great Barrier Island

360Discovery
    http://www.360discovery.co.nz/commuters.html

Gulf Harbour
    Orapiu - Coromandel

hi i work in cbd and commute by ferry 35 mins, have amazing beaches all around, really nice community setting. amazing commute past volcanoes and other islands. have a look into waiheke.

I live in Devonport and its a 15 minute journey by ferry to the CBD, plus whatever time it takes you to get to the ferry. It has a ferry building, with shops, ice cream place, toilets etc, and is in the Devonport village bit with all the cafes and shops. You can also catch ferries to Waiheke from there.

The Stanley Bay Ferry (also considered Devonport but a bit further along) runs less frequently and they often use the older style ferries. It doesn't have any facilities to speak of and is situated in a mainly residential area. Nearby is Stanley Point which is considered quite an exclusive part of Devonport with many expensive properties.

I've never used Bayswater ferry but there is always talk of upgrading the marina to give it shops and facilities like Devonport - but so far its just talk. Its also situated in a mainly residential area which eventually turns into Belmont shops.

Don't know anything about the other terminals apart from Rangitoto is a place you'd visit, not live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangitoto_Island

Cheers

Tia

Can anybody confirm if Beach Haven has a ferry service? At least one vendor on TradeMe has referred to the ferry in a house ad, but they may have been referring to the Birkenhead ferry. I know Beach Haven USED to have a ferry service till 2004, but which subsequently stopped operating, but does anybody know if a new one started up?

Sorry, but I can't find one.

Nearest I can see is Birkenhead

For general travel timetables and routes, have a look at Maxx

Dougie

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    Can anybody confirm if Beach Haven has a ferry service? At least one vendor on TradeMe has referred to the ferry in a house ad, but they may have been referring to the Birkenhead ferry. I know Beach Haven USED to have a ferry service till 2004, but which subsequently stopped operating, but does anybody know if a new one started up?
    Well the good news there appear to be plans for a new ferry service and terminal at Beach Haven, can't figure out just when it is expected to be in service though.

Oh well, maybe it'll be running by the time we get there