Thread: Truck or Bus Driver questions.

Default Truck or Bus Driver questions.

I'm asking on behalf of my cousin who is coming to NZ on a tourist visa with the hope of getting a work permit/job.

What are his chances with these qualifications? Do you think his chances are good? What is the pay like? I've read somewhere that if you get offered employment you have to stay in the same job for 2 years? Is that correct?

10 years experience driving buses, Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving Card, he holds Licences in Class A = Motorcycle B and E = Car and Trailer , CE= Heavy Goods , C1E = Drive all HT vehicles including B trains , Buses Class D = Normal buses, Class DE = bus and trailer, D1E = Bendy buses. All bus licences with P category as well as a disabled carrying licence for mini buses. He also holds his SVQ level 2 certificate in Road Passenger Transport.

Any other advice from any Truckie or Bus Driver is greatly appreciated.

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by annaerb View Post
    I'm asking on behalf of my cousin who is coming to NZ on a tourist visa with the hope of getting a work permit/job.

What are his chances with these qualifications? Do you think his chances are good? What is the pay like? I've read somewhere that if you get offered employment you have to stay in the same job for 2 years? Is that correct?

10 years experience driving buses, Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving Card, he holds Licences in Class A = Motorcycle B and E = Car and Trailer , CE= Heavy Goods , C1E = Drive all HT vehicles including B trains , Buses Class D = Normal buses, Class DE = bus and trailer, D1E = Bendy buses. All bus licences with P category as well as a disabled carrying licence for mini buses. He also holds his SVQ level 2 certificate in Road Passenger Transport.

Any other advice from any Truckie or Bus Driver is greatly appreciated.

Carol
    Hi Carol,

I'm over here as a Truckie, and he will need a job offer to stand any chance. He would be given a two year WP, and he wouldn't have to stay with the same employer who offers the job, but must stay in the industry. He would need a variation of conditions for this to happen.

He has a very good chance of employment being offered as there is a major shortage of Truck drivers, but can't help with the shortage of Coach drivers.

The pay i'm afraid isn't much to write home about, and the hours can, and will be long. He will also be required to fill in a log book, which can be quite alien to someone who hasn't come across them before.

As much as he has all the licences against his name, the only ones that will help are his C&E, and his bus licences(if the shortage is there)

Hope this helps

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim39 View Post
    Hi Carol,

I'm over here as a Truckie, and he will need a job offer to stand any chance. He would be given a two year WP, and he wouldn't have to stay with the same employer who offers the job, but must stay in the industry. He would need a variation of conditions for this to happen.

He has a very good chance of employment being offered as there is a major shortage of Truck drivers, but can't help with the shortage of Coach drivers.

The pay i'm afraid isn't much to write home about, and the hours can, and will be long. He will also be required to fill in a log book, which can be quite alien to someone who hasn't come across them before.

As much as he has all the licences against his name, the only ones that will help are his C&E, and his bus licences(if the shortage is there)

Hope this helps

Kim

Thanks Kim for your reply.

There is a shortage all round for Truckies & Coach drivers.

I don't think he'll have a problem finding a driving job, it will be finding something that pays a decent wage.
    Is there any overtime for Truckies to make up a decent wage? My Cousin currently works 60+ hours at the moment so I guess he would be looking for similar hours.
    I read on one of the forums that you now have to have an offer of 50k instead of 45k? Do you know anything about this new amount?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by annaerb View Post
    Thanks Kim for your reply.

There is a shortage all round for Truckies & Coach drivers.

I don't think he'll have a problem finding a driving job, it will be finding something that pays a decent wage.
    Is there any overtime for Truckies to make up a decent wage? My Cousin currently works 60+ hours at the moment so I guess he would be looking for similar hours.
    I read on one of the forums that you now have to have an offer of 50k instead of 45k? Do you know anything about this new amount?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Carol
    OT sorry, but let me pick myself up off the floor. I have had 9 trucking jobs since i have been here, and not one has paid that wonderful word. I am sorry, but you'll find that they are few and far between who will actually pay OT. He will be able to do the 60, as they are the norm.

Now the 50K ceiling is for WTR, employers who are accredited. There are a few trucking firms, but they seem reluctant to play by the rules, and pay the required amount.

Here is the latest immediate skills list and Coach drivers aren't on it. Obviously trucking is the way in.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...11D/0/ISSL.pdf

Kim
    Last edited by Kim39; 6th February 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Hi Carrol, Hi Kim,
    I was asking the same questions a few weeks back and Kim talks alot of sence. He gave me plenty of good advice. I have been trawling the internet for job opportunities but the best way is to get over there and give it a go. Unfortunatly with a young family its a little harder for me to take that risk but I have other irons in the fire and all is not lost.
    Good luck to your cousin and KEEP TRUCKING!!!
    Dylon.

Quote Originally Posted by dylon View Post
    Hi Carrol, Hi Kim,
    I was asking the same questions a few weeks back and Kim talks alot of sence. He gave me plenty of good advice. I have been trawling the internet for job opportunities but the best way is to get over there and give it a go. Unfortunatly with a young family its a little harder for me to take that risk but I have other irons in the fire and all is not lost.
    Good luck to your cousin and KEEP TRUCKING!!!
    Dylon.
    Hi Dylon,

Yes, it's good talking to people that have done it.
    As far as jobs go my advice is email your CV through to several companies
    and if I find any links as I'm looking for my cousin and I'm in NZ I can pass them on to you if you like?.

look in www.nzherald.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz.
    http://www.truckingjobs.co.nz/
    http://www2.careers.govt.nz/job_search_jobs.html
    http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/inde...ccupation=1541

Truck drivers are on the immidiate skills shortage list as Kim kindly put the link.

Heavy Vehicle Driver
    (733111)
    NZ recognised Full Class 5 Driver
    Licence OR NZQA Unit Standard
    17577: Driver Licence Classes Level 4
    AND three years’ relevant experience
    NZ recognised Full Class 5 Driver
    Licence OR NZQA Unit Standard
    17577: Driver Licence Classes Level 4
    AND three years’ relevant experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kim39 View Post
    OT sorry, but let me pick myself up off the floor. I have had 9 trucking jobs since i have been here, and not one has paid that wonderful word. I am sorry, but you'll find that they are few and far between who will actually pay OT. He will be able to do the 60, as they are the norm.

Now the 50K ceiling is for WTR, employers who are accredited. There are a few trucking firms, but they seem reluctant to play by the rules, and pay the required amount.

Here is the latest immediate skills list and Coach drivers aren't on it. Obviously trucking is the way in.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...11D/0/ISSL.pdf

Kim

Wow Kim, 9 jobs. Where in NZ are you? I guess my cousin will find out when he gets here.

I rang a bus company for info and they said to tell my cousin to go see them
    when he arrives. They will pay to convert his licences but if he left before a certain time then he has to pay that money back. The money is crap but it might be a foot in the door untill all the permits etc come through and then he could be choosy. We'll see.

Thanks again for your replies.