Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NZ and not OZ ?

Question Why NZ and not OZ ?

As a Kiwi, Iam very curious to know why people have chosen to immigrate to NZ rather than Australia . Have any of you considered moving to OZ at some later date ? Any regrets for choosing NZ over OZ ?

NB : Iam totally captivated by this site and really enjoy reading your comments about NZ . Its fascinating ! Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by kowhai View Post
    Have any of you considered moving to OZ at some later date ? Any regrets for choosing NZ over OZ ?
    No, no way

We came here in late 2006 and fell in love with this gorgeous land and fantastic people and couldnt wait to get here.

OZ too hot , too many snakes and spiders

Oz is so different; it's like comparing beer with tea or something! In Australia you either live in massive cities or in small towns hours and hours from anywhere. I'm not a fan of australian suburbia adn we prefered the way it was possible to live rurally but within half an hour of town here.

I like Australian climate- well if you draw a line from Perth to Byron Bay and exclude everything north- although I know that's massively simplifying a very diverse continent! NZ climate is much more livable though. I once read a report that found Aussie kids spend more time indoors than kids in any of the other comparable countries and that doesn't surprise me.

I love visiting Australia and once spent several months there including a long stay with a family in the bush, but I never managed to feel comfortable with my toddler playing in the bush and I find it's the same with the ocean there, unless we're at a city beach with lifesavers.

There's so much that I love about Australia, but on balance I'd rather raise young kids in NZ. Older kids and myself in the future, not so sure

Ditto...

Working as an environmentalist and having just had a very near miss with a black mamba, I vote for the snakes bit as being a very comforting fact. I don't think I will miss puff adders either.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Ditto too. Also too hot.

Why not Oz?

Snakes, spiders, heat, we have water here, AND, Oz is full of Australians.....

Yup, too hot in Oz, too many things that bite.

We lived in Sydney for a while and thought that it was ok. Up until the point we saw some council workers sifting sand in our local childrens playground because they kept finding used herion needles in there (we were in kirribilli not cabramatta in case you're wondering). At that point I started looking through a different set of eyes. Oz is a great country and I can see why so many people move there, but its not for us.

NZ has more than its fair share of problems dont get me wrong. But over all I find NZ a bit more balanced.

Similar to most comments about climate, people and add that there just seems more personal space to live in and my OH sister lives there.

If I wanted somewhat higher pay, big sprawling cities, and a culture I don't feel at home in, I'd stay in the US. I believe I've found the perfect match in Wellington, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast